Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little hesitant to share anything on this forum, since most of the posts I see here contain such amazing pieces, but here's my first couple attempts at boardcut frames. I made them using templates found on the SSF (thanks to those who posted them). I used some old 3/4" plywood we had lying around, and a jigsaw to do most of the work. I utilized a router on the chalice, which gave it a nice rounded edge. I finished the whole thing off by sanding up to 360 grit and putting several coats of spray varnish on the frames. The Y shaped frame isn't real comfortable to hold for my hand size, but the chalice feels amazing! I'm gonna try the same frames again using some multiplex or possibly some hardwood next time. In the meantime I'll be getting some decent bands for these and maybe giving them away to some friends. The more people obsessed with these, the less weird I'll seem!

If anyone has tips for making better cuts or smoother lines, let me hear it! Also, is there a preferred hardwood I could use? I mostly have Home Depot as a resource, and they primarily have birch and oak boards. I can't afford all these exotic frames I'm constantly drooling over, so I figure I better learn how to make some :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I love seeing the shooting virus reach the making level.

Now you are never not going to be a slinger!

Fine job, too.

I like using what I have or find... this is one of the top reasons slingshots are available to anyone world wide... also another good reason to love the sport.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think they look cool, and remember we all started somewhere. It is good to always remember that and stay humble. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good to see a new builder starting out! My first frame was cheap 3/4" ply as well.

if you ever do end up going for a hardwood frame, I recommend you give these threads a read first. Simple boardcuts can be deceptively weak, so it is important that you choose a good design.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/20009-show-us-your-breaks/

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/32003-solid-wood-boardcuts-safe-or-not/

you can also strengthen a board cut by adding a plywood or metal core, pinning the forks with a dowel or metal rod, or laminating. The split grain technique is another great option. http://kookaburrakatties.blogspot.com/p/streng.html

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mlsling - Thanks! I'll give those a read. I don't know much in the way of woodworking, and I'd never thought much about the strain forks undergo during use. I'll give everything a good perusal before making cuts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They look good. You say the Y isn't comfortable did you try holding it the opposite of how you have it banded now? I have a natural a similar shape to that. And it's my favorite.

When I got into shooting slingshots I had no plans to make any. Now I enjoy that as much as shooting.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Brooks, I tried holding it both ways. I think it may just be a bit too small for my hands. I could probably blow up the template to 120% and try it again. As it is now, the point of the handle digs into my palm. I definitely like the shape though. I haven't shot any ergo frames yet, but if the Y frame is any indicator, they've got to feel super natural to shoot! I am a big fan of the chalice though. I thought the handle would be too slim, but it feels just right!

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The hard part is starting out, but once you get going, you'll make more and more....very nice job with the ones you've shown here :thumbsup: !

I usually find birch plywood remnants at a local D.I.Y. store (50% off the regular price), and tend to go for the 22 mm (0.86 inch) thickness for maximum safety. It's always worth asking if they have any such extras lying around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mikey I am a newbie! .... still struggling with that ideal "Grip" . ... The good part is, I have that luxury, like yourself, of making my own frames. I've made a few forks and am getting closer to that ideal shape ... hopefully I will get there soon. In the meantime, I am having more fun than I've had in a long time.

Enjoy and Cheers!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
here are a couple of board cuts i made the first is an oversized copy of Mr Hayes Palladin model without the hollow handle,the second was a peice of white oak given to me by a woodworker friend few years ago the *palladin* gets 5 in x 1 in TBGs cause its my squirell annihilater. cabinet grade 3/4 in ply on the first.i like making as much as shooting,,,,,sometimes

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nice 1 bud good start..hard woods can be found on building sites..I’ve found a few different kinds to last me a lifetime also check out chopping boards for nice pieces at a good price..used as scales/palm/finger swells on birch ply they go a long way and any off cut is worth saving..I find 9mm ply works well for a core and can be glued together to make a thicker stock if needed..check out log piles and fallen trees for over sized forks shapes not so important if it’s big enough and grain can be awesome if it’s spalted check for strength and save any off cuts for scales..and obviously post your wares here????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts