Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Loves the Pocketshooter
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a couple weeks before Christmas, and I was finishing up board cut, when my 20ish year old Craftsman rotary tool finally crapped out on me. My awesome girlfriend was kind enough to gift a new dremel 300 to me. So here's a couple pics of my first frame with the new setup. This is mxred91's ergo design if you didn't know. Scaled it down a bit, and it measures 5-3/8 inches tall, 3-1/2 inches wide, and 2-1/4 inches between the forks. Done in 3/8 birch ply again, with an 1/8 inch black abs spacer, and 1/8 inch brass pins. Banded it up in 3/4 to 1/2 inch thera gold, and a Tex pouch. These band sets have been working good shootin half inch white glass in the garage. Hope you guys like it half as much as I like my new dremel.

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Knock em dead Midnight! Heck of a job Bud. Do you love your Dremel? Flatband

·
Registered
733 Posts
Really nice job. It is really gratifying to see the design modified to suit your own criteria. I think the composite construction is a great idea, looks awesome as well. I am such an idiot, I looked at the picture and thought "Wow that is a cool shape", did not pick up it was the ergo I did until I read the text.

Scaling it down to a 2-1/4" fork is a good idea, the original design was intentionally large. I do think if you scale it down it makes sense to stick with multiplex or a laminated construction so that you maintain enough strength at the fork stress points.

How do you do the brass pins? Are they just set in place with epoxy or are they peened?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hey, that's a nice looking frame! The dimensions are pretty much the same as what I typically enjoy. Feel free to post the template on the shared designs forum

How long are your bands from pouch-to-frame?

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Loves the Pocketshooter
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the all compliments guys. I'm about through with my scrap now, I need to get some more lumber.

Hey, that's a nice looking frame! The dimensions are pretty much the same as what I typically enjoy. Feel free to post the template on the shared designs forum

How long are your bands from pouch-to-frame?

Cheers,
Northerner
I think I copied at 80% of the mxred91 original to get my template. The bands are right at 8 inches. My draw length is only 27 inches, so my bands tend to be short as well.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Excellent work, looks like you are off and running, this is an excellent design and I may give it a go at some point.....most likely in your more scaled down version.

I must say, that is some fine work with a dremel, oftentimes people have problems making slingshots with them as it usually hurts the final product more than it helps it. Yet, this is all in the hands of the user, as a fellow owner of the Dremel 300 I love to use it for base sanding, groove making, and etchings/engravings. To me it is an ideal tool for my uses with small tasks on small pieces of wood.

As I said, great job. I'm glad your on the forum...........and I have to add, you did an excellent job with the constrictor knot at the pouch, looks just like Tex did it!.....

Cheers - John

·
wild life fan
217 Posts
I must say, that is some fine work with a dremel, oftentimes people have problems making slingshots with them as it usually hurts the final product more than it helps it. Yet, this is all in the hands of the user, as a fellow owner of the Dremel 300 I love to use it for base sanding, groove making, and etchings/engravings. To me it is an ideal tool for my uses with small tasks on small pieces of wood.
I've got the answer. Thanks

·
Loves the Pocketshooter
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent work, looks like you are off and running, this is an excellent design and I may give it a go at some point.....most likely in your more scaled down version.

As I said, great job. I'm glad your on the forum...........and I have to add, you did an excellent job with the constrictor knot at the pouch, looks just like Tex did it!.....

Cheers - John
Thanks much for the compliments, it means a lot. I think the key to using a dremel effectively is to really watch your speed and go as slow as you can. Really want to get my hands on the router table they're making for it now. Can you believe that's only about the dozenth time I've tied that knot? I found some number 3 mercerized cotton crochet thread. Seems to do the trick quite nicely. Looks a little smaller than what Tex uses, but can still hold up, and doesn't want to break when tightening the knot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.