Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.
As you guys are probably starting to figure out I'm more of a metal worker. Most of my wood working is either guitar building, boat building or knife handles.

But with all the beautiful naturals showing up on here and the hurricane blowing down 3 of my big maple trees. Figured it was time to do some whittling lol.

Only tools used here was a nice sharp Swiss Army knife and some sandpaper. Speed dried in the microwave, I stained it black and cherry them sanded each of those colours back to try and enhance the grain. Them stained provincial. Them top coated with 4 coats of spray polyurethane. Wetsanded to 3000 then polished.

Let me know what yas think. EA6F79BB-B421-4185-9756-A1CDDA045854.jpeg 989AC6C3-E4FF-4266-98A2-E87632F17A21.jpeg 2A31D694-B231-4B39-999C-F364D86CB6E2.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to go!
You started out with a good fork and introduced some striking surfaces.
The more rustic surface of the handle really accents the work on the forks.
Thanks!! Glad you dig it.
That's what I was going for. I didn't like it at first, was gonna sand it all back but my wife made me leave it lol
I'm glad I did.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! I love that...I am going to save these pics for my library of builds I hope to do someday.
Just looks comfortable for shootimg and carry.
Thanks bud!! And by all means. I would be lying if I said I haven't screen shoted some of your builds lol

That's what this is all about. Not to try and show off, but to inspire and be inspired.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Awesome build and shape!!!!

I really liked how the final colours popped out :bowdown: Overall, your finish on the piece is great!!

Maple, although light in weight, has enough grain force and structure to withstand some rubber pull (I've seen you preferred longer fork prongs instead of small)

Best regards!!!

Q

1 - 20 of 25 Posts