Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are the before and after photos of my first boardcut. After seeing the top SS every day and hating it--it was like living next door to an ugly dog, I swear--I decided to give it another go. After purchasing a rasp and file set from Harbor Freight Tools. Once I got home, I proceeded to spend the next four hours rasping and filing away. I know it need a bit more sanding, but I tested it and, lo and behold, it works. The handle will be a lot smoother by tomorrow night, and I'll hopefully have some method of staining or painting it. I'm excited to have it done, but I'll not rush it, for fear of screwing up again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Looks good. You can apply stain via a rag so if you have some that might be an idea? I'll look forward to seeing it finished
the way your wanting it to look and banded!

sean

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. You can apply stain via a rag so if you have some that might be an idea? I'll look forward to seeing it finished
the way your wanting it to look and banded!

sean
I don't know what to use, honestly. I don't have much $$$ for stain, so I'm looking for an alternative that won't mess it up. Somebody said strong coffee once, but I was dubious. I'm looking for a dark, earthy tone, so if you can offer any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
you were fine with your first design, if you look at the naturals almost all of them are not even close to perfect Y's nor are many of them tied on an flat plane the problem was with your choice od bands one of the first things i learned here is the band set has to be made to not catch/interfer with the projectile in motion Panama Henry gave me the heads up on that one, and to me it was obvious from all that loosely wispy bandset that it might get tangled as it contracted. just sayin

yes do the coffee, you know the instant type is best, anything dried, it all contains food coloring! kool aide, Gatorade, even hot chocolate. best is to take a sample of some of the cut off wood and try the color media you might be using if it works it works

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you were fine with your first design, if you look at the naturals almost all of them are not even close to perfect Y's nor are many of them tied on an flat plane the problem was with your choice od bands one of the first things i learned here is the band set has to be made to not catch/interfer with the projectile in motion Panama Henry gave me the heads up on that one, and to me it was obvious from all that loosely wispy bandset that it might get tangled as it contracted. just sayin

yes do the coffee, you know the instant type is best, anything dried, it all contains food coloring! kool aide, Gatorade, even hot chocolate. best is to take a sample of some of the cut off wood and try the color media you might be using if it works it works
Thanks, NC. I have plenty of MRE instant coffee lying around, so I think I'll give that a go. A+ advice, as usual.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts

Thanks, NC. I have plenty of MRE instant coffee lying around, so I think I'll give that a go. A+ advice, as usual.
[/quote]thats what friends are for

MRE coffe, yummy thats fine dining

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Another thing that works well I learned from my muzzle loader friends. Take alcohol, denatured, isopropryl or vodka LOL, and put an old rusty nail in it or some leaves your instant coffee or about anything else you think might work, and let it soak for a week or two. It actually makes a very nice stain. Some of the top rifle makers use a homemade stain on their stocks and it looks stunning. Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts