Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some lead moulds a couple of weeks ago and finally got a chance to try making my own shot.

I couldn't find any available for 8mm in the UK so bought some from Romania of all places on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-lead-ammo-mold-8-10-12-mm-ball-pellet-buckshot-slingshot-molds/233536486044?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=533180072483&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I had tried to buy some a while back but he was having issues with postage to the UK and when he had a window of opportunity I jumped at it. Looks like he's back to having issues with postage again.

I wanted 8mm but ended up paying express delivery so ordered a 10mm mould as well for the same postage. Im glad I did.

I heated some scrap lead with a blow torch (I'm a plumber in the UK so its no problem for me to find scrap)

First attempts were a bit crap, generally miss formed so I tried heating up the mould with the blow torch and got better results.

Finally managed to get some good 10mm balls but still struggling to get good results with the 8mm.

I think I need to try keeping the lead hot on a camping stove or even the kitchen stove while the wife is out and heat the moulds up really hot with the blowtorch before poring the lead.

Just tried shooting it with the same set up I use for 10mm steel.

Had to aim higher as you would expect but sent the ball straight through a bean can full of water at somewhere between 10 and 15m.

The same set up won't reliably put 10mm steel through the can full of water. It usually just dents the other side.

I want to be able to reliably produce 8mm lead as that is my favourite size in steel.

What do you guys do?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Heating the mold is a necessary step. I don't recommend melting lead in the house. I would suggest that you look into an electric lead pot that dispenses.They are not terribly expensive and being as you get your lead on the job it will pay for itself quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,962 Posts
I say every time that I need to do this cause I love shootn lead!! Yours looks great ! Seems to be a good size too. A good friend and forum member makes mine in .44 cal. They are absolutely a snakes worst nightmare!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heating the mold is a necessary step. I don't recommend melting lead in the house. I would suggest that you look into an electric lead pot that dispenses.They are not terribly expensive and being as you get your lead on the job it will pay for itself quickly.
Thank for that. I had a look on eBay.

Would you recommend the ones that appear to pour from the pot or the ones that need a ladle to get the lead out of the pot.

Either way I wouldn't have credited that something like that would be that cheep.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
The ones that pour from the pot. You have better control. I've fumbled a ladle before and I ain't that fast anymore. :imslow:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I cast round balls for my muzzleloader and use one of the poor from the bottom Lee leadpot. When I was a kid I used a camp stove and a steel pot to melt lead, but the electric pot is more convenient.
I usually dip the corner of the mold in the lead for a little while than just start casting balls..I just cast them and the mold heats the more you cast and as soon as the sprues harden, I drop them out on an old towel and keep casting. I put the towel in a cookie tin or cardboard box so the balls don't roll off.
I just go fast as I can and then sort any bad ones out after they cool and put them back in the pot to melt next time.
I can also allot the lead to make it harder if you want.
Hope it helps

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very good moulds, exactly like the ones I have, also have 12mm one and Lee .375. What weight do you get with your balls?
I have discovered that if you don't put pressure on the two sides of the mould, the balls do not come out clean at the jointing area
a8eda0b64544fb24aa241a5416636e63.jpg

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts