Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first one I am trying to make it's from a template I got here of the forum. It mahogany, I used a coping saw, files, and sand papers. Tomorrow I will finish the fork tips and post again.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Not hacking on ya bro but I figured it’s a tree fork 3/4 thick what can happen the one in the pic I gave it a twist and it just came apart like nothing it was strange but I have board cuts that r like a rock just never know part of the fun

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Don’t want jack your post my any means just if u get into this it’s alot of fun here’s is a few of my best builds imo lol got a lot more but aw u can send a lot of time making a frame I find it relaxing I can’t Waite to see your next one !

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
On the subject of frame/fork testing -

After a few failures of straight wood frames, I have come to the conclusion that "wood frames" need to have a good quality plywood or metal core then veneered with decorative wood for palm swells etc.

Of course; It is possible to reinforce a straight wood frame with pins .... but still risky in my book!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
On the subject of frame/fork testing -

After a few failures of straight wood frames, I have come to the conclusion that "wood frames" need to have a good quality plywood or metal core then veneered with decorative wood for palm swells etc.

Of course; It is possible to reinforce a straight wood frame with pins .... but still risky in my book!
I agree. You can squeeze the forks, pull on the forks to see if they break, but the real danger is fork hits. A fork hit will put impact on a small area that will send a piece of wood attached to the band right back to your face.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Laminate, laminate, laminate...also verify x 3.

Wear the eye goggles.

I, too, love wood work (carpentery) with the hand tools. The plain ole PVA (wood glue) and combining at least 2 grain structures will help. But still can break, especially after a fork hit.

J3ff,

You will get a lot of use out of a Harbor Freight table vice or a Black and Decker Work Table
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Workmate-125-30-in-Folding-Portable-Workbench-and-Vise-WM125/100671605?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD25T%7C25-11_STORAGE+DEVICES%7CNA%7CPLA|71700000034127206|58700003933017532|92700031758439078&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOSnQE8j0OvmYS_QR_4QNyKqdYUUGOqUmr98lzxymDLR-3m9Y_vXiRBoC-asQAvD_BwE

This is fine work.

Carry on and be safe, bud.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts