Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys got my slingshot less than a month ago. Had a could of miss shots with it but getting better. Got my first jackdaw today. From approximately 15 feet I hit it and wounded it by striking its eye. I managed to give it the coup de grace from close range on the skull. I was using 10 mm steel ball bearings. Is this ammo too big for these pests??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys got my slingshot less than a month ago. Had a could of miss shots with it but getting better. Got my first jackdaw today. From approximately 15 feet I hit it and wounded it by striking its eye. I managed to give it the coup de grace from close range on the skull. I was using 10 mm steel ball bearings. Is this ammo too big for these pests??
You might try 1/4 inch or 6.5 mm. 10 does seem a little big for smaller birds

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was aiming for the neck/back of the skull shot and thought maybe it moved at the last moment with the sound of my elastics contracting. Either way when I took the shot I was sure it was going to be an instant kill. The area around my house is plagued with these flying rats!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t want to sound a total novice here. I have always used steel. Got 6mm ones with my sling but felt they were much too lightweight. Not much weight around them so that’s when I purchased 300 10mm steels off eBay. I figured the heavier the load the more damage inflicted and an easier kill. Are lead shot better?

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Lead shot is definitely better imo. Tends to transfer energy better than steel. 6mm will work with a well placed shot. But if you glance a head shot with 6mm you would probably have dropped it with 10mm. 6mm is I think a little on the light side to be 100% ethical for hunting. Unless it's pretty small game and relatively close.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Not every shot will be instant lights out thats just hunting sometimes we always strive for that but we live with and learn from our mistakes.

Good on you for asking for advice on your setup, heres 2 tips: go for the high chest. If you're dead on, lights out. Cruises high? Clean header. Cruises low? Boiler room shot. And secondly, consider hex nuts for ammo. Aim small miss small and keep at it my friend, tell em Chef sent ya. :)

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts