Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
I've been getting into knives lately, (all thanks to Hrawk, E~shot, Jskeen, NC and ZDP......
)
and decided i should have ago on making my own, i couldn't wait to try it.
I purchased some High Quality Bohler O1 steel and started grinding.
The O1 steel is 25 X 3 X 500 MM which is perfect for my use of a bush craft utility knife.

This current knife is 210MM long, and the overal blade is 100MM (4") which is perfectly suitable for bush craft.
The design is quite a classic, nothing complicated, and nothing dramatic.
However, instead of a steady drop-point, i added a acute angle on the spine. Sorta like a reverse tanto swedge?
The balance of the blade is front heavy, however i believe after some scales and rivets, it should be balanced at the middle.

I plan to heat treat this knife professionally to 60HRC and add a high convex grind for wood carving purposes.

I still don't know what scales i am going to make, so suggestions and critisim of design is most welcome.

Details of steel specification.

Flat ground

Updates to follow!

MMMM.... should be fun.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
That's gonna look killer with Koa scales!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
good luck Danny, if anyone can do it you can! the blank is cool to begin with are you going to alter the design give it the Danny treatment? convex or v grind? who's going to do your heat treat's? i am excited about this one.

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
I've been getting into knives lately, (all thanks to Hrawk, E~shot, Jskeen, NC and ZDP......
)
I don't know about knives
, I only know bit of sharpening thanks to Newconvert, Hrawk & ZDP, I learned it from these great guys.

BTW, I book makred this post and can't wait to see the progress

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
good luck Danny, if anyone can do it you can! the blank is cool to begin with are you going to alter the design give it the Danny treatment? convex or v grind? who's going to do your heat treat's? i am excited about this one.
I actually got the steel blank from Kyley Harris, i visited him today and we talked a little.
Really great guy, he's gonna do the heat treatment with his O1 batch soon

Just planning to make it a full convex edge, easier to do with hand tools compared to other grinds.

Thanks Irfan.

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Nice! So I was not sure, did you already cut the bar to length and then grind the blank to your outline? With what? Or did you have that done elsewhere on a waterjet cutter or somesuch?

You planning to do the bevel grind with hand tools or borrow some time on a belt grinder somewhere? If you don't already plan to borrow them from someone else, let me know and i'll see if I can find my old plans for a couple of very handy little gadgets that you can easily knock together from scraps, that will make the grinding much easier for ya. A clamp on parallel that you use to set where you want the back of the bevel grind to go (so you get a nice square transition shoulder) and a scribe that you use to mark the centerline of what will be the cutting edge (so you can keep the grind even on both sides)

Good luck with it :)

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I actually got the steel blank from Kyley Harris, i visited him today and we talked a little.
Really great guy, he's gonna do the heat treatment with his O1 batch soon

Just planning to make it a full convex edge, easier to do with hand tools compared to other grinds.

Thanks Irfan.
well kilie will defiantly get you going, getting a heat treat with him will also be great, your getting going with a master, good for you Danny! like the Irfman i keeping track of this one too.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that Hrawk & Jskeen, I used a rotating sander for the bevel. It worked quite well i think? I used my verniers and marked the center line.

A lil' update.
I think i've finished the grind, i may take it leaner.
I will need to purchase some drill bits then it will be off to the heat treatment.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bad News; Blew my grinders motor

Good News; I Will get a new belt sander by this week

I drilled some holes in the handle area, in total 4 holes that are 9.5mm .dia
It's currently blade heavy, however 2 pins and some micarta handles should balance everything out.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a quick update:
Got a call from my local knife maker and he's ready to heat treat his O1 batch along with couple of blanks i've made.

Should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts