Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have Theraband Gold from Amazon last year. And two salvaged pouches from my Daisy P51 and F15. Fine stuff I'm aware but I'm still learning.
Since joining here, reading til my eyes ache and asking undoubtedly annoying questions, I've expanded my knowledge and goals. Decided to order a few things from Simpleshot with which to make different (better?) band sets. Honestly friends for me in any new hobby this is part of the delight in sinking into a sport. And this one isn't really expensive!
Decided not to make my own cowhide pouches right now and just buy die cut microfiber. Not nearly as fiddly to get great results.
Here's who I am; I do daydream about hunting but aside from an occasional garden raiding squirrel or rabbit, I'll never really see the woods again for bringing home another meal. So target shooting is about it. Ammo on hand and preferred is steel bearings, 3/8, 5/16. a little 1/4 and of course .177 caliber BB size. Marbles and clay don't interest me right now and are relatively expensive for me. Expect to mostly craft my own frames.
About my list. Are the Crystalstring and Amberbelt really both needed? Or is it a case of "may as well get both so I can try them while I'm already paying for postage...,"
Does this list seem pretty reasonable for back yard shooting?

1 Crystalstring roll
1 Amberbelt roll
1 Simpleshot black flat premium latex 0.7mm roll
1 length Simpleshot black tubing size 1842
1, 12 pack each of the Simpleshot microfiber pouches, large and small

Hope to place the order today after seeking other's thoughts. Postage for me is under $5 as I live only one state over from Simpleshot.
Thanks for suggestions. I can't buy everything I'd wish for so I tried to hit the most important stuff. And based the latex choices on the Simpleshot product description on their website.
Don

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I’d try both amber belt and crystal string. Just to see which you prefer. I won’t use it for heavy bands but others will. I prefer amber belt for everything usually. Someone had said recently that the .7 was having some issues so we’ll see if whoever it was happens to see this and chimes in. Pouches are great, they’ll last forever. If they have anything in Roo try and pick up some of that too. Especially the bb (.177) pouches. If you ever have any issues, Simpleshot is known for their great customer service and you can easily reach them on their chat window thing. You might want to pick up a roll of .4 and .5 latex too. That’ll certainly get you rolling!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Right now I have Theraband Gold from Amazon last year. And two salvaged pouches from my Daisy P51 and F15. Fine stuff I'm aware but I'm still learning.
Since joining here, reading til my eyes ache and asking undoubtedly annoying questions, I've expanded my knowledge and goals. Decided to order a few things from Simpleshot with which to make different (better?) band sets. Honestly friends for me in any new hobby this is part of the delight in sinking into a sport. And this one isn't really expensive!
Decided not to make my own cowhide pouches right now and just buy die cut microfiber. Not nearly as fiddly to get great results.
Here's who I am; I do daydream about hunting but aside from an occasional garden raiding squirrel or rabbit, I'll never really see the woods again for bringing home another meal. So target shooting is about it. Ammo on hand and preferred is steel bearings, 3/8, 5/16. a little 1/4 and of course .177 caliber BB size. Marbles and clay don't interest me right now and are relatively expensive for me. Expect to mostly craft my own frames.
About my list. Are the Crystalstring and Amberbelt really both needed? Or is it a case of "may as well get both so I can try them while I'm already paying for postage...,"
Does this list seem pretty reasonable for back yard shooting?

1 Crystalstring roll
1 Amberbelt roll
1 Simpleshot black flat premium latex 0.7mm roll
1 length Simpleshot black tubing size 1842
1, 12 pack each of the Simpleshot microfiber pouches, large and small

Hope to place the order today after seeking other's thoughts. Postage for me is under $5 as I live only one state over from Simpleshot.
Thanks for suggestions. I can't buy everything I'd wish for so I tried to hit the most important stuff. And based the latex choices on the Simpleshot product description on their website.
Don
Hey I think I asked before but where in Kentucky do you live? I live near Lexington KY.

·
Neophyte
2,072 Posts
Those microfiber pouches are nice as is, but I put a pit in mine and they work so much better. So easy to load the ammo into the pouch and keeps you super consistent. Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
K, You might consider .6 or .5 latex ... .7 is o.k. but it is a little stiff - harder to pull-and not quite as easy to be as accurate as the thinner latex. Of course you can adjust band width to nearly anything you want but I've found the thinner latex more satisfying.........Regardless you'll enjoy figuring it all out......
Also I'm hooked on 5/16" steel.....................

·
Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
2,670 Posts
To me crystal string is horrible and depending on color it will discolor your bands significantly. I use amber belt for all of my band tying needs. Latex I'd go with . 50 instead because it will work well for all of your ammo sizes. .7 you may have to cut some really thin tapered bands to avoid hand slap shooting the 1/4 and bbs. And I'm not a tube guy but I believe 1632 will be a better fit for your ammo as well. A

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like you have all you will need for now. The SS micro fibre pouches I find to be a bit too stiff for my liking.As others have said I would go with a lighter rubber especially if you are new at shooting. Maybe consider a set of the metal collars that Pocket Predator makes for wire framed slingshots which I assume the Daisy's are. The collars make it really easy to swap to bands from tubes on your wire framed slingshots.

·
Registered
39 Posts
they also make pre cut band strips if you wanted to try a few different ones before buying a entire roll. Then again a entire roll is cheap. A roll of .5 should work fine for all of those ammo sizes including the 3/8. Their roo pouches for small ammo are excellent.

The roll of crystal string I have breaks very easily. I've been using the amber belt for tying on pouches and it doesnt fray like the crochet thread I bought. For attaching to the frame latex strips seem to work much better for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is very good information to have and I appreciate you all replying. Modifying my order a bit. I happened to think about the Simpleshot Sparrow I bought a couple months ago. Kept all the packaging. The two premade band sets that came with it have their 0.7 thickness flat latex. Cut to my active length of 6 5/8 inch when I installed them, I found they were initially a bit of a task to draw. But I had a rotator cuff surgical repair of my right shoulder last year that is still kinda sore which may have affected my perception.
I must start somewhere of course. No quick answers and I just have to "pay my dues" to learn what works for me.
Thanks again folks so much.
Oh Blowhard79 I'm over and downstate in Bowling Green. Came here for schooling in 79 and stayed.
Don

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
some good advice here,i will throw my hat in the ring too,i Like the crystal string for pouch tying,hate the amber belt for anything,i shoot mostly the same size ammo as you listed as well as clays-[and hexnuts] .06 is my prefered latex from SS,as well as their 1632 or 2040 tubes,latex strips or #32 rubber bands for tying to the frame

1 - 14 of 14 Posts