Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to test the concept, I added a very simple push-up trigger and a handle to my little J-hook-equipped wooden bar.

It works like a charm. It took me about 90 minutes to make the entire weapon. I am absolutely excited about the new possibilities!

Can't wait for the weekend. I will be making a fantastic new x-bow.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Interesting trigger mechanism.
So you put the ball in place (small neo magnet in forward groove to keep it there) and then pull the band/pouch back empty and place around it?

Also, let me just say... that's just frickin' smart having the front pouch/ball holding block be wide like that so that the pouch is agape, making it easier for the ball to fly.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Oh yesss! This is an important new development. I'd wanted to do an auto flipper on my bench rigs (double fork) but never got round to it and I think you've implemented it much more simply that I'd planned. I'd love to see high speed video of the front end.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
You bettcha!!! That has some amazing possibilities!!! Well Done!!:DB) Looking forward to seeing it shoot!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks, as always, your inventions make me think.

I now have the possibility of creating a pair of synchronized triggers to test the double rubber concept.

It turns out that a single up motion could trigger both.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tested further on with the push-up method, and it fails as soon as the bands are stronger. Then unpredictable things happen. Also, loading gets very dangerous. Nope, the push up mechanism is not the way to go forward.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I tested further on with the push-up method, and it fails as soon as the bands are stronger. Then unpredictable things happen. Also, loading gets very dangerous. Nope, the push up mechanism is not the way to go forward.
Thanks for the feedback.

The next simplest trigger is the swinging arm design with one fixed.

The trigger pulls the jam post down and an arm is free to swing.

(Credit to you for the idea)

I discovered that one moving arm is as repeatable as two.

One moving arm makes it easier to inset the loaded pouch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Joerg,

Thanks, sound advise.

Today, I figured out how to release 2 locked arms by pushing the cylinder up instead of down.

Mount the cylinder on a rod small enough in diameter to allow the arms to become free when it is pushed up.

You can press it down to lock and load.

Edit: On second thought we may be able to design a 'fixed' arm with adjustable indexed positions for different diameter balls.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to correct myself. The push up trigger DOES work, even with stronger bands.

When I upped the bands on my test rifle, I also upped the rubber that pulls on the "J"-lever, thinking that I should increase the speed of the lever down/forwards motion as well.

What happened is that the ball was kind of "hurled", much like a trebuchet action, only downwards. So the ball was landing after a short flight, with a lot of force though. It didn't even reach the target. Obviously the main acceleration still has to come from the main bands, otherwise this "hurling" occurs.

So when I lowered the band strength that pulls the lever, I could increase the main band strength wioth no problems.

Which means that the trick works for making slim rifles because you have no need for the fork, but it does not really increase the ball speed.

So the "one arm in swinger" does not work.

Jörg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.