Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I got this template from the template section and used a scroll saw to cut and files and sandpaper to shape. I never work in wood. I don't like wood and I don't trust it. I don't know what this wood is called (we call it "wood") but I believe it's what matchsticks are made of. And it's expensive. For a bit of wood I can get a ton of PVC. But I wanted to see if I could work wood, so....

I tried two... another design just snapped into pieces while it was in a vise and I was having a go with a file. This one however, seems a more robust design.

The finish is coconut oil (all I have in this lockdown) with lacquer sprayed on.

However it turned out, I am happy with it. I use it to get rid of lizards inside the house and feed my cat. I use paper ammo for that. The tubes are medical latex. Very cheap and very stretchy and powerful.

Toy Wood Finger Fawn Creative arts

Grass Baize Rectangle Drinkware Recreation

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Эта древесина выглядит как сосна, не подходит для рогаток, она очень хрупкая. Обязательно используйте защитные очки при съемке. У меня есть рогатка, сделанная по такому чертежу, но из микарты. Лучше сделать то же самое, но хотя бы из фанеры, и положить это на полку в коллекцию.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't think it's pine. Karachi is surrounded by swamps... might be some mangrove wood.

And you are correct... I would be foolish to trust it. My preferred slingshot material is steel or PVC, both of which I have plenty of. I have no knowledge of wood.

Bands and tubes should always go over the forks like in the last picture
Thanks mate! This little question's been bugging me for a while.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you are unsure of the wood laminate it with tight bond 2 and another board of hardwood. On your bands there I would cut up some 1/2 inch pieces of bamboo skewers and use those as match sticks to hold bands. Instead of the rubber you got there. Other than that really good start.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Эта древесина выглядит как сосна, не подходит для рогаток, она очень хрупкая. Обязательно используйте защитные очки при съемке. У меня есть рогатка, сделанная по такому чертежу, но из микарты. Лучше сделать то же самое, но хотя бы из фанеры, и положить это на полку в коллекцию.
This wood looks like a pine, not suitable for slingshots, it is very fragile. Be sure to use safety glasses when shooting. I have a slingshot made according to such a drawing, but from mikarta. It's better to do the same, but at least from plywood, and put it on a shelf in the collection.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
On your bands there I would cut up some 1/2 inch pieces of bamboo skewers and use those as match sticks to hold bands. Instead of the rubber you got there.
Fixed it.

Now the bands go over the top. That makes it a left-hand shooter only... I am fine with that.

Wood Fawn Art Eyewear Painting

The poly-ethylene cord has been replaced by metal pins (cut up nails). Don't have bamboo skewers at the moment and plastic sticks used on cotton buds bend into the tapering holes.

Also switched to looped bands. Now it hits like a freight train.

Hand Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

Hand String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
On your bands there I would cut up some 1/2 inch pieces of bamboo skewers and use those as match sticks to hold bands. Instead of the rubber you got there.
Fixed it.

Now the bands go over the top. That makes it a left-hand shooter only... I am fine with that.

attachicon.gif
15855519306700.jpg

The poly-ethylene cord has been replaced by metal pins (cut up nails). Don't have bamboo skewers at the moment and plastic sticks used on cotton buds bend into the tapering holes.

Also switched to looped bands. Now it hits like a freight train.

attachicon.gif
15855516341951.jpg

attachicon.gif
15855516342332.jpg
Your cooking with gas now, plus you sped up your band change times. With those match sticks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts