Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had found a piece of what I think is Osage orange in a burn pile years ago. I sliced it in half and it has sat in my wood stack for st least 20yrs. I am new to this forum and would like to post a pic of what I drew up before I start slicing and dicing. Cutting mat Blue Wood Textile Rectangle
Cutting mat Blue Wood Textile Rectangle

Attachments

·
Ray Rowden
2,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That's a nice layout job on that board.

The design looks functional and comfortable.

Since it is cut from a single board, I'd consider adding some thickness where the forks join the handle. With straight-grained woods, that's an area given to weakness due to short grain.

Take a look at a masterpiece in this genre, and I think you'll see what I mean. https://slingshotforum.com/topic/93930-the-tex-shooter-classic/

Keep us posted on how the work progresses!

·
Ray Rowden
2,993 Posts
The shaping looks great!

I'd probably give the tops of the forks an 1/8-inch round over and band her up!

If you wanted to go back and add more radius later, you could.

Same with band grooves: start with none, add them on the front, or all around, or on the inside and outside, or just the inside.

It's going to be yours, and it looks like it's going to be good.

I'm bowing to the waist and sweeping the floor with my hat, my friend!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fitted out.I scavenged the bands from some heavy latex gloves.they are only about 0.020 thick so not much zip. Shooting some green peas I got from the Indian food store. Way more accurate than the 10$ Walmart special that got me started on this obsession. I was able to hit the same cedar board from about 15 meters. Real bands and some heavier ammo are in order. Was out at a friend's ranch and started scavenging her brush pile. Got some cherry and cedar. Need to make an ammo trap before I start on my next project. Glove Wood Gesture Helmet Art

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.