Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I went ahead and tried a Tru-oil finish on these two slings. The finish looks much smoother in person, the pics almost make it look like it's rough.

Either way, I hope you enjoy!
Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain Hand tool
Brown Wood Font Wood stain Hardwood
Brown Wood Hardwood Beige Metal
Brown Wood Beige Hardwood Outdoor shoe

Registered
You did a fine job finishing the two of them!! Grain is filled in nicely. I like that sight! Almost missed seeing it.
Malemute
Beautiful! I've used Tru-Oil for decades on gun stocks when refinishing and always been pleased with the results. Builds up a nice finish with a few coats. Easy to repair if ever scratched also. Again, those are beautiful. Don
That is a good point that you brought up! I f you get a scratch in the finish you can easily recoat it. Good as new

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say True Oil likes you for sure! Handsome Pickles!:)
Thanks, It was a lot easier to work with than I had anticipated. I had to switch to using coffee filters to apply it though. I can't stand getting it on my skin!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful! I've used Tru-Oil for decades on gun stocks when refinishing and always been pleased with the results. Builds up a nice finish with a few coats. Easy to repair if ever scratched also. Again, those are beautiful. Don
Thanks, I wish I had tried this years ago! I refinished an old accordion after stripping the celluloid and this stuff would have ended up looking a lot nicer!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did a fine job finishing the two of them!! Grain is filled in nicely. I like that sight! Almost missed seeing it.
Malemute

That is a good point that you brought up! I f you get a scratch in the finish you can easily recoat it. Good as new
Thanks, I used 400 grit sandpaper while applying the first coat, then 0000 steel wool between coats and 2000 wet sand before the last coat.

And I'm glad you noticed the sight. I think I'm going to start incorporating that style on all of my slings. It's just two pieces of wire each folded in half. No glue. I just drill a hole slightly smaller and wedge it in about 1/4"-3/8".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts