Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading the post about chained rubber bands and I shoot with them on and off more on right now than off. They work great on my bent wire shooters. I use a 4 3 2 taper. Well it got me thinking about another post about 105 rubber bands so the other day I was in the office supply store picking up some 32 and was looking for some 105 witch they didn't have but but said they could order most any thing I wanted. I explained what I wanted them for and I preferred latex rubber. They were nice enough to get on line and start searching to find something that would meet my needs and what they came up with was a 105 thats 55% rubber and 45% latex."sorry forgot the brand" I picked them up today got home and right away got two out cut them with my pocket knife tied on a pouch with a 32 and tied the set to a frame the same way with a 32 went out back to give them a try. They really surprised me as the seemed to do as well as the pure gum rubber Ive used be for. took 100 or so shoots and they did great even in this cool weather its in the 50s here.Well a 1 pound bag only cost me $4.50 and it looks like I may get a good 50 band sets out of this bag the 1/4 pound bag of 32s were $2.Io the band sets are easy to make so that seems like a bargain to me.Sorry bout the pore pic.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good post Dragonmaster i have also ordered some fat rubber bands here in the UK. Your right they do make good, cheap flatbands

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've been using 107's for a while, these are just longer than the 105's. The "natural rubber" bands from alliance are stretchy enough i can use one band doubled over giving me enough for my draw length this configuration of 107 doubles is quite fast i think for the priceof them. oncei get aroundto getting my new chrono set up i will report on the speed.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Good post DM

Those are great rubbberbands, I have used the 107 pale gold crepe from alliance rubberbands, I had those set up on my old Victor 20 vintage fork. It shoots those 44 cal lead balls very well and I suspect those .36 cal lead balls that jump gave me which conveniently fit inside the Victor 20 ammo holder would be a great combo with these kind of bands for some hunting.

My pop used to tell me that once in a while when he was a kid he used large wide rubberbands to make his slingshots, when he was either fresh out of red inntertube bands or the emerging round solid bands of his time. Said he killed many quail with those wide rubberband bands.

Wonderful post..

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
As said above excellent post DM.

Yet another innovative, cheap, practical, and effective elastic option to those new and experienced to try.

I'd like to know what preforms better the 105s or the 107s....

I just made a set of doubled theragolds and I was frustrated by how much time it consumed to cut and attach compared to the chains, so I would love a quick and easy flatband option.

Gopher, you say the alliance 107's have good speed when doubled? How is the draw on them? It sounds like a good idea, if they are longer and stretchier than the 105's than I can imagine they may be better.
Are these them? : http://www.amazon.co...90303481&sr=8-3
http://www.shoplet.c...er%20Bands/srch

Also, has anyone considered the size 117B, I would think they are even larger and that may be something for someone to experiment with.....possibly a butterfly like draw?

Nico, how would you compare the 107s to your 444/555 32's in regards to their speed and durability. I love to hear and learn things about new cheap and easy forms of elastics, this is an excellent thread for sure!

If you do get some 107s DM, would you be so kind as to do a little comparison, no need for complicated testing and equipment if you don't have it.....just your observations and opinions since you'll have both.

Great thread, great input, keep it going everyone, maybe this should just be an alternative bandsets topic in the future, I have no doubt it would help out and inspire many...

Take Care Everyone, keep up the good input! - John

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far the 105's seem to do as well as the red gum rubber band set I got from flatband Gary. I've shot them up to 20 meters in cool weather and 10 to 15 shoots wile the bands are still warm from my pocket do very well IMA. I've been maxing the rubber to about a 35 to 40 inch draw "thats a rough guess" as my normal draw is 28 inch's and the draw with these is about 1/4 butterfly.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Nico, how would you compare the 107s to your 444/555 32's in regards to their speed and durability. I love to hear and learn things about new cheap and easy forms of elastics, this is an excellent thread for sure!

If you do get some 107s DM, would you be so kind as to do a little comparison, no need for complicated testing and equipment if you don't have it.....just your observations and opinions since you'll have both.

Great thread, great input, keep it going everyone, maybe this should just be an alternative bandsets topic in the future, I have no doubt it would help out and inspire many...

Take Care Everyone, keep up the good input! - John
Hi John,

Although the 107 rubberbands are great, they have no where near the power of the red chains which are much faster, durability wise its touch and go. The 107 is 7 inches long so I just make a short 7 inch band from the loops cut open its 14 inches. Comparatively the 107s in this set up will not shoot same weighted 14-16 gram stones as fast as the red chains in 444 especially not as fast as a 555 chain of the red 32s.

The 107s work best with lighter ammo such as 44 cal lead or 1/2 inch steelies or better still .36 leads then you see some impressive speed from the 107s
But as DM said the 5/8 rubberbands seem to perform similar to gum rubber strips.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I broke the first band set today. I don't have a exact count but shot over 300 3/8 steel with them pulling them to there max. Know as the bands began to wear the performance did drop some but no worse than any other band set Ive used. I did a lot of shooting today as I was unable to shoot for the past few weeks so I did wear out a few sets all ranging from 150 to 300 shots so I have to say for the back yard plinker these would make a good band set for 20 meters or less. As always wear eye protection and check your frame and bands for wear and damage often. IT will be about a week befor I can order a bag of 107's to test and compare but will give my thoughts for what there worth.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Had to check back in on this thread to bump it and hear some more information.

Just wondering, Darren and Dragonmaster, did you happen to get a bag of 107's yet?

And DM, if you did, and have been able to shoot a bit, hows the comparison?

I may get some of either the 107's or the 105's this coming weekend, they will really help me out with knocking up a few Christmas present slingshots with some spare bands included.

Feedback from anyone would be great, if nothing else, I will get a small amount just because I enjoy experimenting.
Thanks - John

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Had to check back in on this thread to bump it and hear some more information.

Just wondering, Darren and Dragonmaster, did you happen to get a bag of 107's yet?

And DM, if you did, and have been able to shoot a bit, hows the comparison?

I may get some of either the 107's or the 105's this coming weekend, they will really help me out with knocking up a few Christmas present slingshots with some spare bands included.

Feedback from anyone would be great, if nothing else, I will get a small amount just because I enjoy experimenting.
Thanks - John
Glad you bumped this up Bane', as I too intended to keep up with this post and the bands mentioned .

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
No problem Ray, I think a lot more threads should be bumped up and elaborated on more often. There are so many posts and topics, and pages these days its difficult to keep on top of everything. Making it harder and harder to find things your looking for and new members begin asking repetitive questions because of it.

Just my thoughts, expect some more bumping from me on older topics that are very useful and interesting. This one highlights a new inexpensive and easy band type that looks like it has a promising future ahead......

Regards - John

Reactions: Larry Bourgeois

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I've been using 107's for a while, these are just longer than the 105's. The "natural rubber" bands from alliance are stretchy enough i can use one band doubled over giving me enough for my draw length this configuration of 107 doubles is quite fast i think for the priceof them. oncei get aroundto getting my new chrono set up i will report on the speed.
I actually just ordered some alliance 107 gold bands.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Ahh RM, those Alliances are the ones I've had my eye on for the future
. I'd love to see some pictures and hear some of your thoughts on them when they come in and you get banded up.

Look forward to hearing from you....I'll surely post right away if I ever get a hold of some this week.

Cheers - John

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I used the #107 rubberbands on two naturals, with large pouches, for rock shooting. I cut the bands on one end and used the full length, allowing a 1 inch tie on at the both the fork and pouch. That left a band 10 inches long.

I found that the full 10 inches was a little soft hitting compared to natural latex or theraband gold. I finally decided to cut the bands shorter for more power at my draw length. However, other projects have taken up my time and the shorter band idea is on my list of 'things to do'.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Thanks for the input BB
, I too would be interested in using them for some stones, or simply as fun,simple, no worries target bands....

It's really nice to hear that you tried a few different ways of setting them up, When you do happen to find the time (time is the knife in the back of all mankind!!
) please let us know what configuration ended up working best for you. I'll probably try them normal length without cutting, and then maybe full length after cutting in half but possibly doubled, we'll see, it will all come to me with a little use.

It seems quite a few members have delved in these types of large rubberbands, I hope there are more that will drop in and share some knowledge and experiences.....

Thanks - John

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.