Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading the post about chained rubber bands and I shoot with them on and off more on right now than off. They work great on my bent wire shooters. I use a 4 3 2 taper. Well it got me thinking about another post about 105 rubber bands so the other day I was in the office supply store picking up some 32 and was looking for some 105 witch they didn't have but but said they could order most any thing I wanted. I explained what I wanted them for and I preferred latex rubber. They were nice enough to get on line and start searching to find something that would meet my needs and what they came up with was a 105 thats 55% rubber and 45% latex."sorry forgot the brand" I picked them up today got home and right away got two out cut them with my pocket knife tied on a pouch with a 32 and tied the set to a frame the same way with a 32 went out back to give them a try. They really surprised me as the seemed to do as well as the pure gum rubber Ive used be for. took 100 or so shoots and they did great even in this cool weather its in the 50s here.Well a 1 pound bag only cost me $4.50 and it looks like I may get a good 50 band sets out of this bag the 1/4 pound bag of 32s were $2.Io the band sets are easy to make so that seems like a bargain to me.Sorry bout the pore pic.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far the 105's seem to do as well as the red gum rubber band set I got from flatband Gary. I've shot them up to 20 meters in cool weather and 10 to 15 shoots wile the bands are still warm from my pocket do very well IMA. I've been maxing the rubber to about a 35 to 40 inch draw "thats a rough guess" as my normal draw is 28 inch's and the draw with these is about 1/4 butterfly.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I broke the first band set today. I don't have a exact count but shot over 300 3/8 steel with them pulling them to there max. Know as the bands began to wear the performance did drop some but no worse than any other band set Ive used. I did a lot of shooting today as I was unable to shoot for the past few weeks so I did wear out a few sets all ranging from 150 to 300 shots so I have to say for the back yard plinker these would make a good band set for 20 meters or less. As always wear eye protection and check your frame and bands for wear and damage often. IT will be about a week befor I can order a bag of 107's to test and compare but will give my thoughts for what there worth.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry I haven't got back on this post for awhile been fighting a cluster headache that has given me little time to function for awhile but will be ordering some 107's this morning but in this cold the performance will be a little on the low side I might try some indoor shooting as I don't do that to often the 105's have done well even in the cold weather IMHO are good target bands and the longevity is not to bad

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just walked to the office supply store and ordered a box of 107's from allince they cost Little more from them and I have to pay a shipping charge but still a good price so I'll be trying these out this weekend I hope depends on the weather

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Great input everyone! I'm glad this thread continues to develop, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the wealth of opinions, data, and information will explode once all of these people get their bands in.

Delaney:
i am about to order either some of the 105s or 107s though so lets try to get a consensus on which is better im leaning toward the longer ones because im a big guy with a long draw and i figure i can always shorten them up a bit but i still want some good power so im still undecided. Either way i like the idea of such a cheap and easy band especially since im giving so many slings as gifts this year and mostly to people that will just take a couple of shots out the backdoor and thus would have no use for (nor i think the strength to pull) something like the hunter bands.
At this point there is no final consensus (as with any elastic really) it has seemed like overall from a power standpoint, more people have used the 107s and liked their performance. Going by previous knowledge and practicality, I can infer that if both the 105 bands and the 107s both from Alliance and put head to head, the 105s cut in half to full length, and the 107s left "doubled"....... then yes, I'd say there is little doubt which is faster at similar draw lengths. And seeing as they are from the same company they will probably last around the same amount of time.

I too am giving away a large number of slingshots this holiday season and the months to come and I'm really hoping these turn out to be the serviceable and incredibly easy to attach and maintain bands that I can give away on forks with a spare set. They just seem ideal for that purpose, sort of the poor and inexperienced man's golden elastic (speaking in regards to hose receiving them as gifts new to slingshots)....Time will tell as all of this information starts to flow in and build up a case for them.

Cheers - John

P.S. Hope you feel better and it's nothing too serious DM, a few years back I would get struck with clustered migraines every 6 months or so for 3 straight days. Terrible ordeal, I feel for you........ it basically renders you paralyzed.
Thank John Ive been going through this every three to four years since I was a teenager this time it was light but the have been verry bad.

The 105 I got are from a different company but for a target band they hit pretty hard and last as long as outher flatbands Ive used.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Glad to here you got some aamj! You've offered up some great input, and once you get out and test I'm sure we'll hear some more good observations.

Good to here your getting some Delaney, by the end of the month we will have an excellent wealth of information on these bands!
It seems like they're intended purpose for quite a few people, including myself, is to be target bands...and "gift bands" for other shooters.

So you ordered them off staples.com?....are these the bands? ......because now I am really excited to order, but I need to make sure because these are different from the pale crepes on Amazon.
http://www.staples.c...CH#revs_content
Two business day shipping sounds good to me, and with all of this good feedback at this point, I am chomping at the bit to get a hold of them. I'd love to get some feedback from you aamj on whether or not those in the link were the bands you received....just to clarify.

Thanks in advance, keep up the flow of info
- John
I just got a box of the sterling havent tied any up yet but will soon and post back then.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Not knocking Tex's band they are far better than 105 or 107's by far but I'm not the greatest at cutting bands but in the nearer future will be buying a sheet Ive shot his bands and love the way they preform but the rubber band's are easy for me to get no cutting and seem to do well enough for shooting cans Ive tryed a few set's from Gary and I'm very impressed with them as well but for me I can walk down the street today and with in a day or to have 30 band set's for under $10.00

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I don't think anybody got there feathers ruffled I hope it didn't sound like I did I'M just not that great at words but Tex made a good point that I bet not to many members realize about his latex sheets

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well time for a update Well I was making up a band set with 107's had a idea for a tapper. I had just got a package in the mail so had to divide shooten time. I took this set out strapped to my most accurate frame to try out. Started shooten at ten meters then after a bit moved out to twenty meters. This setup is shoooten harder then the single 105's or the double 107's. Now I don't have a crony but for me I don't really need one so see a difference. This setup all though not real fast does hit with a amazing impact and this was in 20 degree Temp's on cold bands. I took some pictures so it would be essayer to under stand the tapper. If you decide to try this tapper be careful and check the set for even draw as it is easy to get them a little off if you don't watch your measurement's close. I used a 1/4 inch peace of 17-45 tube to tie mine but you can use your on way to tie.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Did some shooting with this setup just came in when I went out I thought I would take my BI-THOR out to just to see how it compared well with 3/8 steel they seem to hit just as hard and the drop was bout the same also so I think I'll be shooting with these for awhile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.