Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Good post DM

Those are great rubbberbands, I have used the 107 pale gold crepe from alliance rubberbands, I had those set up on my old Victor 20 vintage fork. It shoots those 44 cal lead balls very well and I suspect those .36 cal lead balls that jump gave me which conveniently fit inside the Victor 20 ammo holder would be a great combo with these kind of bands for some hunting.

My pop used to tell me that once in a while when he was a kid he used large wide rubberbands to make his slingshots, when he was either fresh out of red inntertube bands or the emerging round solid bands of his time. Said he killed many quail with those wide rubberband bands.

Wonderful post..

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Nico, how would you compare the 107s to your 444/555 32's in regards to their speed and durability. I love to hear and learn things about new cheap and easy forms of elastics, this is an excellent thread for sure!

If you do get some 107s DM, would you be so kind as to do a little comparison, no need for complicated testing and equipment if you don't have it.....just your observations and opinions since you'll have both.

Great thread, great input, keep it going everyone, maybe this should just be an alternative bandsets topic in the future, I have no doubt it would help out and inspire many...

Take Care Everyone, keep up the good input! - John
Hi John,

Although the 107 rubberbands are great, they have no where near the power of the red chains which are much faster, durability wise its touch and go. The 107 is 7 inches long so I just make a short 7 inch band from the loops cut open its 14 inches. Comparatively the 107s in this set up will not shoot same weighted 14-16 gram stones as fast as the red chains in 444 especially not as fast as a 555 chain of the red 32s.

The 107s work best with lighter ammo such as 44 cal lead or 1/2 inch steelies or better still .36 leads then you see some impressive speed from the 107s
But as DM said the 5/8 rubberbands seem to perform similar to gum rubber strips.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
I've used the Alliance pale gold crepe 107s before in the unopened loop its only 7 inches but when I set this up I used these on my old Victor20 slingshot and it was shooting 44 cal lead balls with a lot of force.

There are other types of wide rubberbands you can use, such as the kind used for Ceramic molds they are supposed to be a little thicker and its something I will explore and report in this thread. I was telling John that I had a friend when I was in my teens who only ever used wide rubberbands for his homemade naturals of course he had this opportunity cos his granny worked in a place that supplied these.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.