Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
As said above excellent post DM.

Yet another innovative, cheap, practical, and effective elastic option to those new and experienced to try.

I'd like to know what preforms better the 105s or the 107s....

I just made a set of doubled theragolds and I was frustrated by how much time it consumed to cut and attach compared to the chains, so I would love a quick and easy flatband option.

Gopher, you say the alliance 107's have good speed when doubled? How is the draw on them? It sounds like a good idea, if they are longer and stretchier than the 105's than I can imagine they may be better.
Are these them? : http://www.amazon.co...90303481&sr=8-3
http://www.shoplet.c...er%20Bands/srch

Also, has anyone considered the size 117B, I would think they are even larger and that may be something for someone to experiment with.....possibly a butterfly like draw?

Nico, how would you compare the 107s to your 444/555 32's in regards to their speed and durability. I love to hear and learn things about new cheap and easy forms of elastics, this is an excellent thread for sure!

If you do get some 107s DM, would you be so kind as to do a little comparison, no need for complicated testing and equipment if you don't have it.....just your observations and opinions since you'll have both.

Great thread, great input, keep it going everyone, maybe this should just be an alternative bandsets topic in the future, I have no doubt it would help out and inspire many...

Take Care Everyone, keep up the good input! - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Had to check back in on this thread to bump it and hear some more information.

Just wondering, Darren and Dragonmaster, did you happen to get a bag of 107's yet?

And DM, if you did, and have been able to shoot a bit, hows the comparison?

I may get some of either the 107's or the 105's this coming weekend, they will really help me out with knocking up a few Christmas present slingshots with some spare bands included.

Feedback from anyone would be great, if nothing else, I will get a small amount just because I enjoy experimenting.
Thanks - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
No problem Ray, I think a lot more threads should be bumped up and elaborated on more often. There are so many posts and topics, and pages these days its difficult to keep on top of everything. Making it harder and harder to find things your looking for and new members begin asking repetitive questions because of it.

Just my thoughts, expect some more bumping from me on older topics that are very useful and interesting. This one highlights a new inexpensive and easy band type that looks like it has a promising future ahead......

Regards - John

Reactions: Larry Bourgeois

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Ahh RM, those Alliances are the ones I've had my eye on for the future
. I'd love to see some pictures and hear some of your thoughts on them when they come in and you get banded up.

Look forward to hearing from you....I'll surely post right away if I ever get a hold of some this week.

Cheers - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Thanks for the input BB
, I too would be interested in using them for some stones, or simply as fun,simple, no worries target bands....

It's really nice to hear that you tried a few different ways of setting them up, When you do happen to find the time (time is the knife in the back of all mankind!!
) please let us know what configuration ended up working best for you. I'll probably try them normal length without cutting, and then maybe full length after cutting in half but possibly doubled, we'll see, it will all come to me with a little use.

It seems quite a few members have delved in these types of large rubberbands, I hope there are more that will drop in and share some knowledge and experiences.....

Thanks - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
I will let you know for sure!
Okay, I really can't wait for some nice pictures and maybe a little review RM!

Just a little update, went over to Office Max yesterday....no luck!!!

They didn't have anything bigger than #64s (which I picked u in a 1/4 lb
)......so I will wait a bit for RM's update (or others) then order some Alliance 107's offline, because the local office supply didn't have them either when I checked...

Regards - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Great input everyone! I'm glad this thread continues to develop, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the wealth of opinions, data, and information will explode once all of these people get their bands in.

Delaney:
i am about to order either some of the 105s or 107s though so lets try to get a consensus on which is better im leaning toward the longer ones because im a big guy with a long draw and i figure i can always shorten them up a bit but i still want some good power so im still undecided. Either way i like the idea of such a cheap and easy band especially since im giving so many slings as gifts this year and mostly to people that will just take a couple of shots out the backdoor and thus would have no use for (nor i think the strength to pull) something like the hunter bands.
At this point there is no final consensus (as with any elastic really) it has seemed like overall from a power standpoint, more people have used the 107s and liked their performance. Going by previous knowledge and practicality, I can infer that if both the 105 bands and the 107s both from Alliance and put head to head, the 105s cut in half to full length, and the 107s left "doubled"....... then yes, I'd say there is little doubt which is faster at similar draw lengths. And seeing as they are from the same company they will probably last around the same amount of time.

I too am giving away a large number of slingshots this holiday season and the months to come and I'm really hoping these turn out to be the serviceable and incredibly easy to attach and maintain bands that I can give away on forks with a spare set. They just seem ideal for that purpose, sort of the poor and inexperienced man's golden elastic (speaking in regards to hose receiving them as gifts new to slingshots)....Time will tell as all of this information starts to flow in and build up a case for them.

Cheers - John

P.S. Hope you feel better and it's nothing too serious DM, a few years back I would get struck with clustered migraines every 6 months or so for 3 straight days. Terrible ordeal, I feel for you........ it basically renders you paralyzed.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Glad to here you got some aamj! You've offered up some great input, and once you get out and test I'm sure we'll hear some more good observations.

Good to here your getting some Delaney, by the end of the month we will have an excellent wealth of information on these bands!
It seems like they're intended purpose for quite a few people, including myself, is to be target bands...and "gift bands" for other shooters.

So you ordered them off staples.com?....are these the bands? ......because now I am really excited to order, but I need to make sure because these are different from the pale crepes on Amazon.
http://www.staples.c...CH#revs_content
Two business day shipping sounds good to me, and with all of this good feedback at this point, I am chomping at the bit to get a hold of them. I'd love to get some feedback from you aamj on whether or not those in the link were the bands you received....just to clarify.

Thanks in advance, keep up the flow of info
- John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Okay, to clear a few things up here, and I'm sure I speak for many others from this standpoint, we are not knocking the bandsets of the likes of Tex, Flatband, or any other vendors. But, when there is an interesting development in the slingshot world, as usual, we share, compare, inquire, and debate. This thread on the large rubberbnads has been an interesting development thus far, I've learned a lot, and I don't doubt it has aided others in the sport who may be on very low budgets, may not be able to order online, or may want to grab 1/4lb at the local office store to get going in the sport. That's what this site is about right?

I too own a set of Tex's bands now and I really do love them, and I will probably end up preferring them to the large rubberbands I just ordered. Nevertheless I am an experimenter and not the greatest cutter so these fit the bill. I really hope that this doesn't turn into the 1,000,000 which elastic is best argument. We are all just sharing our thoughts and enthusiasm about these for now.

To each their own, we all have a right to our own opinions and preferences, we cannot force ways onto each other, nor can we judge because ones ways. Let's be honest, every new development (I'm not sure whether or not we can consider this new or not) in the slingshot world regarding bands brings us closer and closer to the elusive state of nirvana when it comes to slingshots.....which is what we are collectively trying to achieve each day.

Okay aside from that lets get back to doing what we all do best.....thats is definitely and excellent price per bandset Tex, someday I'll give that a try, if only I wasn't such a bad/slow cutter. As to my price per bandset, I just came upon an incredible deal online. I was able to get a code that I searched for on Google to get free shipping, which meant 9 dollars off!!!!

With such a great opportunity to buy some bands I jumped on it a I have some spare cash at the moment.. (ended that night
) ....here is the break down, yes I went a little crazy :

1 lb of Alliance Sterling #107s = 50 of them - $5.50 - 25 bandsets - .22 cents a bandset ...... not to bad + no cutting + no measuring

1/2 lb of Alliance Pale Crepe 107s = 30 of them - $3.25 - 15 bandsets - 21.6 cents a bandset ....... again not bad, no cutting + no measuring

1lb of Universal #105s = 50 of them - $3.20 - 25 bandsets - 12.8 cents a bandset ........ thats sounds great to me!!! will probably work good as target shooters

1/4 lb of Universal # 64s = 88 of them - $1.00 - used for chains 3-4 bandsets - 25-33 cents a bandset ...... just wanted to try them for my chained 64s, no matter what, 1 dollar will not be a loss because I will achieve around 1,000 or more shots with 3-4 bandsets

+ FREE SHIPPING

I'm very happy with my purchase, I think no matter what I will get my moneys worth even when I'm giving away about 5-10 bandsets as gifts. I will be sure to update all of you if I ever get them by the weekedn I will try to shoot some with at least 2 kinds and compare.... The 107s have potential for different things, including cutting in half, shortening, doubling at full length once cut or even taking uncut and attached with a 105 at the end. There are many possibilities, as with the chains......I'm excited to receive them.

I spent quite some time on this post, in hope it will both clear up some issues on the thread and help out others with the prices, amounts, etc. When time allows, and this won't be for a while, I may have a go at doing 2 or three size 84 rubberbands on a bandset...could be interesting

Take care everyone...
- John

Reactions: Larry Bass

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
It's all good in my camp Ray, I have no problems with your post or any others, just it sort of looked like this topic was dipping towards a turn for the worse, and I absolutely hate forum arguments and conflicts.

I just posted that from the heart in hopes to both get the thread back on track and relieve tension, clear up the situation..........In this case, it is quite possible either myself or even others may have misinterpreted the discussion at this stage....it happens, its all in text with little emotion, tone, facial expressions, body language, etc. It can be hard to interpret at times.

Yes, some can get a bit too touchy, personally I try not to get worked up about anything at all on a forum, because honestly I don't know any of you!
Let's just get back to business here, if anyone would like me to change my post, I'm open for that as it seems I may have taken it a bit wrong.

In close, I am not at all bothered by any previous posts, my post was a preventative measure I guess, because I was thinking the worse...... and it seems I have come off wrong.....nevertheless, I hope the info in my post helps at least someone a bit

I can't wait for more updates and thoughts on these rubberbands, I will surely go in as much detail as I am able to once I get shooting, if time allows.

Take Care everyone - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Woah, Tex himself has a picture of his 107s from the the past! They look good, good find as well.

Gopher, yes the appeal for me is the lack of cutting and measuring, meaning less time before going out for a shoot. And as to shipping, as you see from my order, there was no shipping whatsoever, therefore the cost per bandset was still very low.

Delaney, your post personifies my views in a nutshell..... minus the ordering online part....I agree on the gift part, no cutting, etc...and also the fact that Tex's bands have NO bad reviews or opinions whatsoever......an excellent sign without a doubt

Alright time for an update.....

1 lb of Alliance Sterling #107s = 50 of them - $5.50 - 25 bandsets - .22 cents a bandset ...... not to bad + no cutting + no measuring

1/2 lb of Alliance Pale Crepe 107s = 30 of them - $3.25 - 15 bandsets - 21.6 cents a bandset ....... again not bad, no cutting + no measuring

1lb of Universal #105s = 50 of them - $3.20 - 25 bandsets - 12.8 cents a bandset ........ thats sounds great to me!!! will probably work good as target shooters

1/4 lb of Universal # 64s = 88 of them - $1.00 - used for chains 3-4 bandsets - 25-33 cents a bandset ...... just wanted to try them for my chained 64s, no matter what, 1 dollar will not be a loss because I will achieve around 1,000 or more shots with 3-4 bandsets

+ FREE SHIPPING
Not only did I achieve free shipping, but they arrived in one day!!! I already have them , and I am absolutely overjoyed.....one of my best purchases when it comes to bands, ever...

Okay, so now that I have them, I will attempt to get banded up as soon as possible, that probably won't be until Saturday morning....sorry folks. Updates coming though.

First thoughts, I am thoroughly impressed by the strength and thickness of the Universal 105s, I will probably cut them for full length shooting, they seem to be very similar to gum rubber bands...

We will see, I'm excited to get going here...... and sorry I was all over the place, I didn't have much time to post today..

Cheers - John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.