Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,285 Posts
Ahh RM, those Alliances are the ones I've had my eye on for the future
. I'd love to see some pictures and hear some of your thoughts on them when they come in and you get banded up.

Look forward to hearing from you....I'll surely post right away if I ever get a hold of some this week.

Cheers - John
I will let you know for sure!

·
Here to help and learn
724 Posts
I will let you know for sure!
Okay, I really can't wait for some nice pictures and maybe a little review RM!

Just a little update, went over to Office Max yesterday....no luck!!!

They didn't have anything bigger than #64s (which I picked u in a 1/4 lb
)......so I will wait a bit for RM's update (or others) then order some Alliance 107's offline, because the local office supply didn't have them either when I checked...

Regards - John

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
i double up the 107's. i can just get enough draw length from a single 107 doubled over. with this configuration they seem to hit pretty hard.

·
Resigned
706 Posts
I've used the Alliance pale gold crepe 107s before in the unopened loop its only 7 inches but when I set this up I used these on my old Victor20 slingshot and it was shooting 44 cal lead balls with a lot of force.

There are other types of wide rubberbands you can use, such as the kind used for Ceramic molds they are supposed to be a little thicker and its something I will explore and report in this thread. I was telling John that I had a friend when I was in my teens who only ever used wide rubberbands for his homemade naturals of course he had this opportunity cos his granny worked in a place that supplied these.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry I haven't got back on this post for awhile been fighting a cluster headache that has given me little time to function for awhile but will be ordering some 107's this morning but in this cold the performance will be a little on the low side I might try some indoor shooting as I don't do that to often the 105's have done well even in the cold weather IMHO are good target bands and the longevity is not to bad

·
Registered
86 Posts
I seem to remember a thread on one of the forums at some point where somebody mentioned trying these pallet bands. I cant remember exactly what was said but i think the general conclusion was that they weren't elastic enough to be effective, but dont quote me on that this is just a vague recollection. i am about to order either some of the 105s or 107s though so lets try to get a consensus on which is better im leaning toward the longer ones because im a big guy with a long draw and i figure i can always shorten them up a bit but i still want some good power so im still undecided. Either way i like the idea of such a cheap and easy band especially since im giving so many slings as gifts this year and mostly to people that will just take a couple of shots out the backdoor and thus would have no use for (nor i think the strength to pull) something like the hunter bands.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just walked to the office supply store and ordered a box of 107's from allince they cost Little more from them and I have to pay a shipping charge but still a good price so I'll be trying these out this weekend I hope depends on the weather

·
Here to help and learn
724 Posts
Great input everyone! I'm glad this thread continues to develop, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the wealth of opinions, data, and information will explode once all of these people get their bands in.

Delaney:
i am about to order either some of the 105s or 107s though so lets try to get a consensus on which is better im leaning toward the longer ones because im a big guy with a long draw and i figure i can always shorten them up a bit but i still want some good power so im still undecided. Either way i like the idea of such a cheap and easy band especially since im giving so many slings as gifts this year and mostly to people that will just take a couple of shots out the backdoor and thus would have no use for (nor i think the strength to pull) something like the hunter bands.
At this point there is no final consensus (as with any elastic really) it has seemed like overall from a power standpoint, more people have used the 107s and liked their performance. Going by previous knowledge and practicality, I can infer that if both the 105 bands and the 107s both from Alliance and put head to head, the 105s cut in half to full length, and the 107s left "doubled"....... then yes, I'd say there is little doubt which is faster at similar draw lengths. And seeing as they are from the same company they will probably last around the same amount of time.

I too am giving away a large number of slingshots this holiday season and the months to come and I'm really hoping these turn out to be the serviceable and incredibly easy to attach and maintain bands that I can give away on forks with a spare set. They just seem ideal for that purpose, sort of the poor and inexperienced man's golden elastic (speaking in regards to hose receiving them as gifts new to slingshots)....Time will tell as all of this information starts to flow in and build up a case for them.

Cheers - John

P.S. Hope you feel better and it's nothing too serious DM, a few years back I would get struck with clustered migraines every 6 months or so for 3 straight days. Terrible ordeal, I feel for you........ it basically renders you paralyzed.

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Great input everyone! I'm glad this thread continues to develop, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the wealth of opinions, data, and information will explode once all of these people get their bands in.

Delaney:
i am about to order either some of the 105s or 107s though so lets try to get a consensus on which is better im leaning toward the longer ones because im a big guy with a long draw and i figure i can always shorten them up a bit but i still want some good power so im still undecided. Either way i like the idea of such a cheap and easy band especially since im giving so many slings as gifts this year and mostly to people that will just take a couple of shots out the backdoor and thus would have no use for (nor i think the strength to pull) something like the hunter bands.
At this point there is no final consensus (as with any elastic really) it has seemed like overall from a power standpoint, more people have used the 107s and liked their performance. Going by previous knowledge and practicality, I can infer that if both the 105 bands and the 107s both from Alliance and put head to head, the 105s cut in half to full length, and the 107s left "doubled"....... then yes, I'd say there is little doubt which is faster at similar draw lengths. And seeing as they are from the same company they will probably last around the same amount of time.

I too am giving away a large number of slingshots this holiday season and the months to come and I'm really hoping these turn out to be the serviceable and incredibly easy to attach and maintain bands that I can give away on forks with a spare set. They just seem ideal for that purpose, sort of the poor and inexperienced man's golden elastic (speaking in regards to hose receiving them as gifts new to slingshots)....Time will tell as all of this information starts to flow in and build up a case for them.

Cheers - John

P.S. Hope you feel better and it's nothing too serious DM, a few years back I would get struck with clustered migraines every 6 months or so for 3 straight days. Terrible ordeal, I feel for you........ it basically renders you paralyzed.
Thank John Ive been going through this every three to four years since I was a teenager this time it was light but the have been verry bad.

The 105 I got are from a different company but for a target band they hit pretty hard and last as long as outher flatbands Ive used.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Those bands are not bad if you do not have access to pure gum rubber sheets that can be cut to size and shape. For the life of me I don't know why more people don't just get the band sets by Bill Herriman or Gary Miller. Seems like a lot less work and max performance is assured.
As said above excellent post DM.

Yet another innovative, cheap, practical, and effective elastic option to those new and experienced to try.

I'd like to know what preforms better the 105s or the 107s....

I just made a set of doubled theragolds and I was frustrated by how much time it consumed to cut and attach compared to the chains, so I would love a quick and easy flatband option.

Gopher, you say the alliance 107's have good speed when doubled? How is the draw on them? It sounds like a good idea, if they are longer and stretchier than the 105's than I can imagine they may be better.
Are these them? : http://www.amazon.co...90303481&sr=8-3
http://www.shoplet.c...er%20Bands/srch

Also, has anyone considered the size 117B, I would think they are even larger and that may be something for someone to experiment with.....possibly a butterfly like draw?

Nico, how would you compare the 107s to your 444/555 32's in regards to their speed and durability. I love to hear and learn things about new cheap and easy forms of elastics, this is an excellent thread for sure!

If you do get some 107s DM, would you be so kind as to do a little comparison, no need for complicated testing and equipment if you don't have it.....just your observations and opinions since you'll have both.

Great thread, great input, keep it going everyone, maybe this should just be an alternative bandsets topic in the future, I have no doubt it would help out and inspire many...

Take Care Everyone, keep up the good input! - John

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I got my 107s today and really like them so far. Ordered from Staples.com and shipped to store for free. I am using them OTT on a smaller upright shooting board cut that I made. I am currently running them at about 9", which lets me pull back to the ear (I don't know my draw length, but I'm 5'11" and I don't have monkey arms, so about average). I'm shooting in the garage so I've been using mostly1/4" steel. At the current length they will put a 1/4" right through a coke can at 20' (far away as I can get) and are as accurate as anything else I've tried. They shoot 3/8" with authority too, but the richochets are too scary!
I'm really looking forward to taking them out and shooting at 30' to compare them with my Trumark RRT equiped FS-1 wrist rocket. I think with some experimenting and maybe even doubling (at the price why not?) they will do very well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alright im in im going to staples tomorrow to order my 107s. It sounds like they will be perfect for the little guys im giving out for christmas and at this price i can even fork over an extra band set or two also

·
Here to help and learn
724 Posts
Glad to here you got some aamj! You've offered up some great input, and once you get out and test I'm sure we'll hear some more good observations.

Good to here your getting some Delaney, by the end of the month we will have an excellent wealth of information on these bands!
It seems like they're intended purpose for quite a few people, including myself, is to be target bands...and "gift bands" for other shooters.

So you ordered them off staples.com?....are these the bands? ......because now I am really excited to order, but I need to make sure because these are different from the pale crepes on Amazon.
http://www.staples.c...CH#revs_content
Two business day shipping sounds good to me, and with all of this good feedback at this point, I am chomping at the bit to get a hold of them. I'd love to get some feedback from you aamj on whether or not those in the link were the bands you received....just to clarify.

Thanks in advance, keep up the flow of info
- John

·
Banned
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Glad to here you got some aamj! You've offered up some great input, and once you get out and test I'm sure we'll hear some more good observations.

Good to here your getting some Delaney, by the end of the month we will have an excellent wealth of information on these bands!
It seems like they're intended purpose for quite a few people, including myself, is to be target bands...and "gift bands" for other shooters.

So you ordered them off staples.com?....are these the bands? ......because now I am really excited to order, but I need to make sure because these are different from the pale crepes on Amazon.
http://www.staples.c...CH#revs_content
Two business day shipping sounds good to me, and with all of this good feedback at this point, I am chomping at the bit to get a hold of them. I'd love to get some feedback from you aamj on whether or not those in the link were the bands you received....just to clarify.

Thanks in advance, keep up the flow of info
- John
I just got a box of the sterling havent tied any up yet but will soon and post back then.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
After using mine for a week a few things stand out for me.
First is that these bands are very durable. I use mine on a small, unfinished board-cut that doesn't have the cleanest top edges (I can't put it down long enough to poly coat it
) and the bands still hold up great. They also seem very consistant in their stretch, I haven't had to re-tie since a bit of initial stretching.
Second, these are what I'm going to put on my gift slings, but I think I'll stick with chained bands for my shooters. My un-scientific Coke can testing has shown that at the same draw length my chained bands (33s chained 4-3-3) are a lighter pull and hit noticeably harder with equal or greater accuracy. I'm shooting 1/4" steel at 20ft in the garage. With the 107s I get about 1 out of 6 to penetrate the can, the chains do it 5 out of 6 times or more. The chains are more of a bother to make (but easier to attatch to the pouch for sure) and require more attention, but are worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Brewman, i don't think anyone is suggesting that a set of doubled 107's will rival a set of Bill's bands for performance, but i don't think bills bands cost 22 cents per set do they? The title is flatbands on a budget. As far as effort is concerned, it takes me about 2 minutes to fully make and a attach a bandset made from 107's, and as i mentioned it costs less than a quarter.

Reactions: Larry Bass

·
Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
But were do you get them for 22 cents a set with the shipping? Tex-Shooter

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.