Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
The point that I was going to make was a sheet of my .030 latex will make 57 single express bands. At $12 shipped any where in the USA that comes to that comes to about 21 cents per band if you want to cut your own. -- Tex Shooter

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have waited nearly a year for my supply of thera band to be depleted to feel justified in buying re flatband material (Tex's bands or sheet). And most likely will buy the sheet and perhaps a couple of band sets. The reason is I got a band set from him and loved the band set. The best way to put it is that It feels like all the key factors are in place for a near perfect set for what I like. Others have bragged for Tex, about his sets. Then when he breaks down buying a sheet from him, how can one not go with that?

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Not knocking Tex's band they are far better than 105 or 107's by far but I'm not the greatest at cutting bands but in the nearer future will be buying a sheet Ive shot his bands and love the way they preform but the rubber band's are easy for me to get no cutting and seem to do well enough for shooting cans Ive tryed a few set's from Gary and I'm very impressed with them as well but for me I can walk down the street today and with in a day or to have 30 band set's for under $10.00

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Okay, to clear a few things up here, and I'm sure I speak for many others from this standpoint, we are not knocking the bandsets of the likes of Tex, Flatband, or any other vendors. But, when there is an interesting development in the slingshot world, as usual, we share, compare, inquire, and debate. This thread on the large rubberbnads has been an interesting development thus far, I've learned a lot, and I don't doubt it has aided others in the sport who may be on very low budgets, may not be able to order online, or may want to grab 1/4lb at the local office store to get going in the sport. That's what this site is about right?

I too own a set of Tex's bands now and I really do love them, and I will probably end up preferring them to the large rubberbands I just ordered. Nevertheless I am an experimenter and not the greatest cutter so these fit the bill. I really hope that this doesn't turn into the 1,000,000 which elastic is best argument. We are all just sharing our thoughts and enthusiasm about these for now.

To each their own, we all have a right to our own opinions and preferences, we cannot force ways onto each other, nor can we judge because ones ways. Let's be honest, every new development (I'm not sure whether or not we can consider this new or not) in the slingshot world regarding bands brings us closer and closer to the elusive state of nirvana when it comes to slingshots.....which is what we are collectively trying to achieve each day.

Okay aside from that lets get back to doing what we all do best.....thats is definitely and excellent price per bandset Tex, someday I'll give that a try, if only I wasn't such a bad/slow cutter. As to my price per bandset, I just came upon an incredible deal online. I was able to get a code that I searched for on Google to get free shipping, which meant 9 dollars off!!!!

With such a great opportunity to buy some bands I jumped on it a I have some spare cash at the moment.. (ended that night
) ....here is the break down, yes I went a little crazy :

1 lb of Alliance Sterling #107s = 50 of them - $5.50 - 25 bandsets - .22 cents a bandset ...... not to bad + no cutting + no measuring

1/2 lb of Alliance Pale Crepe 107s = 30 of them - $3.25 - 15 bandsets - 21.6 cents a bandset ....... again not bad, no cutting + no measuring

1lb of Universal #105s = 50 of them - $3.20 - 25 bandsets - 12.8 cents a bandset ........ thats sounds great to me!!! will probably work good as target shooters

1/4 lb of Universal # 64s = 88 of them - $1.00 - used for chains 3-4 bandsets - 25-33 cents a bandset ...... just wanted to try them for my chained 64s, no matter what, 1 dollar will not be a loss because I will achieve around 1,000 or more shots with 3-4 bandsets

+ FREE SHIPPING

I'm very happy with my purchase, I think no matter what I will get my moneys worth even when I'm giving away about 5-10 bandsets as gifts. I will be sure to update all of you if I ever get them by the weekedn I will try to shoot some with at least 2 kinds and compare.... The 107s have potential for different things, including cutting in half, shortening, doubling at full length once cut or even taking uncut and attached with a 105 at the end. There are many possibilities, as with the chains......I'm excited to receive them.

I spent quite some time on this post, in hope it will both clear up some issues on the thread and help out others with the prices, amounts, etc. When time allows, and this won't be for a while, I may have a go at doing 2 or three size 84 rubberbands on a bandset...could be interesting

Take care everyone...
- John

Reactions: Larry Bass

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
To clear things up I didn't intend for my comments to infringe on the point of the thread so I am sorry anyone thought I was intending to change one's point of view, or criticize that someone would be interested with the rubber band idea.

I only meant to praise Tex's product. In fact I have an interest in trying the 107's since I like to know the characteristics of what is out there.

I realize you want to keep this on track but sometimes you guys get too touchy. Just leave a comment alone if it isn't perfectly stated.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
It's all good in my camp Ray, I have no problems with your post or any others, just it sort of looked like this topic was dipping towards a turn for the worse, and I absolutely hate forum arguments and conflicts.

I just posted that from the heart in hopes to both get the thread back on track and relieve tension, clear up the situation..........In this case, it is quite possible either myself or even others may have misinterpreted the discussion at this stage....it happens, its all in text with little emotion, tone, facial expressions, body language, etc. It can be hard to interpret at times.

Yes, some can get a bit too touchy, personally I try not to get worked up about anything at all on a forum, because honestly I don't know any of you!
Let's just get back to business here, if anyone would like me to change my post, I'm open for that as it seems I may have taken it a bit wrong.

In close, I am not at all bothered by any previous posts, my post was a preventative measure I guess, because I was thinking the worse...... and it seems I have come off wrong.....nevertheless, I hope the info in my post helps at least someone a bit

I can't wait for more updates and thoughts on these rubberbands, I will surely go in as much detail as I am able to once I get shooting, if time allows.

Take Care everyone - John

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
It's all good in my camp Ray, I have no problems with your post or any others, just it sort of looked like this topic was dipping towards a turn for the worse, and I absolutely hate forum arguments and conflicts.

I just posted that from the heart in hopes to both get the thread back on track and relieve tension, clear up the situation..........In this case, it is quite possible either myself or even others may have misinterpreted the discussion at this stage....it happens, its all in text with little emotion, tone, facial expressions, body language, etc. It can be hard to interpret at times.

Yes, some can get a bit too touchy, personally I try not to get worked up about anything at all on a forum, because honestly I don't know any of you!
Let's just get back to business here, if anyone would like me to change my post, I'm open for that as it seems I may have taken it a bit wrong.

In close, I am not at all bothered by any previous posts, my post was a preventative measure I guess, because I was thinking the worse...... and it seems I have come off wrong.....nevertheless, I hope the info in my post helps at least someone a bit

I can't wait for more updates and thoughts on these rubberbands, I will surely go in as much detail as I am able to once I get shooting, if time allows.

Take Care everyone - John
John you did a stellar job of wording the tread at an earlier point to keep the tread on it's intended course. Perhaps I was too touchy. Nonetheless I am enjoying the subject of these bands (105 and 107s).

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Maybe I need to clarify my point, too, because I sure didn't intend to upset anyone. I have some Tex bands and I have a box of 107s. Each have their place. I bought the 107s to try them out, and use them to build replicas of the slingshots my boys used to make. They certainly are good enough for plinking, and by doubling would be powerful enough for hunting. I just wanted to point out that if price is the major consideration, saving a few cents by buying the 107s is not a real good deal, because Tex's bands aren't that much more.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I looked through my archives to find this picture that I had. This photo was made in about 2008 even through the properties say 2010 (it was moved). Wow what kind of bands are on that thing, could they be 107’s? Gnaw, Tex would never use 107’s would he? They are!!!! The matter of fact, I kind of like them for wing shooting with 5/8 marbles. Because they don’t shoot as far as my field bands and are easier to see trace misses. Nope, there is nothing wrong with 107’s if you understand there limits – Tex-Shooter

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 107 size sounds like the type i was using 30 years ago they worked very well back then. I would like to buy more and test them out. I also need a lead ball mold. I wish i had a chronograph to test my work. I think i can see my results with shooting into putty. This forum is a nice way to bounce ideas and look at others design work.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i can find them locally, but even if you do have to order them, mcmaster carr has reasonable shipping. But your right, if you have to pay for shipping this would probably double cost to a bit less than 50 cents per set!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Tex, i didn't realilze that you could get your latex sheet that cheap! mind posting a link? this is something i would be interested in since i already have a rotary cutter, etc.

But i still think there is appeal for 107's since there is no cutting involved.

I've never claimed that using 107's were top performers, just a cheap, easily obtainable, easily processable material for making slingshot bands.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of the main reasons i was immediately interested in the 107s is the simple fact that i can pick them up from the store(I have a weird thing about ordering stuff online, dont like it much). I also need something cheap and easy (im still talking about bandsets here) that still had a kind of traditional look and since my band cutting ability is limited as is my time these days, and money for that matter, so these seem perfect. they also seem to be good bands for the gifts im making for christmas since most of the people that are getting them would only be shooting at targets anyway. So it sounds like theyre perfect for that to me. That being said I myself would love to get some real bands like Tex's for myself because i havent come across a single negetive review of them which is more than i can say for pretty much any other band on the market.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Woah, Tex himself has a picture of his 107s from the the past! They look good, good find as well.

Gopher, yes the appeal for me is the lack of cutting and measuring, meaning less time before going out for a shoot. And as to shipping, as you see from my order, there was no shipping whatsoever, therefore the cost per bandset was still very low.

Delaney, your post personifies my views in a nutshell..... minus the ordering online part....I agree on the gift part, no cutting, etc...and also the fact that Tex's bands have NO bad reviews or opinions whatsoever......an excellent sign without a doubt

Alright time for an update.....

1 lb of Alliance Sterling #107s = 50 of them - $5.50 - 25 bandsets - .22 cents a bandset ...... not to bad + no cutting + no measuring

1/2 lb of Alliance Pale Crepe 107s = 30 of them - $3.25 - 15 bandsets - 21.6 cents a bandset ....... again not bad, no cutting + no measuring

1lb of Universal #105s = 50 of them - $3.20 - 25 bandsets - 12.8 cents a bandset ........ thats sounds great to me!!! will probably work good as target shooters

1/4 lb of Universal # 64s = 88 of them - $1.00 - used for chains 3-4 bandsets - 25-33 cents a bandset ...... just wanted to try them for my chained 64s, no matter what, 1 dollar will not be a loss because I will achieve around 1,000 or more shots with 3-4 bandsets

+ FREE SHIPPING
Not only did I achieve free shipping, but they arrived in one day!!! I already have them , and I am absolutely overjoyed.....one of my best purchases when it comes to bands, ever...

Okay, so now that I have them, I will attempt to get banded up as soon as possible, that probably won't be until Saturday morning....sorry folks. Updates coming though.

First thoughts, I am thoroughly impressed by the strength and thickness of the Universal 105s, I will probably cut them for full length shooting, they seem to be very similar to gum rubber bands...

We will see, I'm excited to get going here...... and sorry I was all over the place, I didn't have much time to post today..

Cheers - John

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Niagara, even without a Chrony you can get an idea of performance. On a windless morning, go to a large body of water and shoot steel shot over it with the different set-ups. You can see the shot hit the water at long distances when it is smooth. You may be surprised at what shoots further; it is not always what you think. The set-up that shoots further has the most power. Remember you might need up to 400 yards (365 meters) of range. Shooting over water at targets 50 to 100 yards (45 to 91 meters) will also improve your release. -- Tex-shooter

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Great thread, keep it going, very informative.
Philly

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Niagara, even without a Chrony you can get an idea of performance. On a windless morning, go to a large body of water and shoot steel shot over it with the different set-ups. You can see the shot hit the water at long distances when it is smooth. You may be surprised at what shoots further; it is not always what you think. The set-up that shoots further has the most power. Remember you might need up to 400 yards (365 meters) of range. Shooting over water at targets 50 to 100 yards (45 to 91 meters) will also improve your release. -- Tex-shooter
Tex I just have to tell you how great it is to have you on this forum. You always have great advice and are a wealth of information.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.