Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I have been ask to post this picture comparing the flatman to a classic, so I thought that several might like to see it. If I made the flatman to day I would make the handle 3/4 of a inch shorter and the distance between the forks 2 1/2 inches instead of 2 3/4 inches. -- Tex

Attachments

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I have been ask to post this picture comparing the flatman to a classic, so I thought that several might like to see it. If I made the flatman to day I would make the handle 3/4 of a inch shorter and the distance between the forks 2 1/2 inches instead of 2 3/4 inches. -- Tex
Is the Flatman the wooden slingshot? What type of wood?

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Flatman is a steel rod slingshot, named for the way it looks before the handle build-up. The classic in the picture was a Birdseye Rock Maple. -- Tex

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bill, would you mind if i made a copy of this design? I think it´s really great with the fast band-change
! Im talking about making one for myself, ofcourse no mass production to sell them or anything

/Matt

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt, go for it, even mass produce them if you want. I even know who can make them in Quantity. -- Tex

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you very much Bill! I have made one now, but i did´nt weld the slots on, i just bend the whole thing from one piece of rod, i might post a picture soon. It really shoots well, truly a great design! Actually, it may end up being the one i´ll carry with me everytime im rifle hunting from now on

/Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apologies for raising an old post.
I'm new here but the bug has bitten me hard and l'm already thinking about alternative designs.

After many days of checking out all the various designs, this one really appeals to me due to it's simplicity and the ease that the bands can be attached and removed.

I would like to build a copy of this and l was wondering what the diameter of the steel rod is?

Cheers

George

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is 1/4 inch 1016 cold roll steel. It is still my favorite for all around shooting! -- Tex

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really appreciate the info Bill.
Am l correct in assuming that you braze welded it (using an oxy)?
What did you find were the best bands for these?
Thanks Mate

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stick welded with a electric welder. Any flat bands .050 to .060 in thickness. Either one band or multiples to get that thickness. Thin multiples shoot faster than one thick band. In fact the thicker the bands are the slower they shoot. With the exception of Saunders Bands thicker bands last longer. -- Tex

·
Registered
24 Posts
Below are my first attempts. Fairly happy with everything except my mig skills, so thats why I ground the welds smooth. I might get a welder friend to tig the next one up.

Tex- hopefully your not too upset with the small changes I made - they weren't planned.

George

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They look great! The last ones that I made, I did not even weld the handle. -- Tex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts