Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you flip shooters, I have a question. How do you get consistant accuracy from your flips? I've been shooting some flips I put together this winter and shooting them at targets 10 meters away. I'll shoot dead on a few times then get irratic with shots going high with pronounced rainbow trajectories or shooting wide. I'm guessing that grip variences have something to do with this but I can't pin point what I'm doing wrong. My wrist rockets take a lot of these variables out by virtue of their design and release is one of just a few variables that can screw up a shot. What do you flip shooters do to eliminate grip related errors?

Don

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I tried to do this intuitive flip style shooting to eleminate that nasty hand slapp and no matter how much I attemp to perfect flip style it is not consistant for me. My guess is if you begin flip style shooting at age 10 you can have it impregnated into your brain so it becomes a part of your nature. It is more than likely whatever fits your hand and feels natural to you. I think this is what I am finding out about slingshot shooting. For me I keep reverting back to the way I use to shoot when I picked up my first whamo slingshot without any instruction I have developed a technique that was more than likely right for me.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I think the biggest effect on accuracy for me is right at the pouch. What it is made of and how it is held prior to release and the actual release. It seems if I pay attention to the pouch being released the same and held the same the ammo goes where I want. Of coarse, the method of acquiring the target must also be known before how you release the pouch is noticed. Once again I come back to: The answer is acquired only through practice and only through practice will we find the question.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don, good to hear from you. Seems like it's been awhile.
I've found that really choking up on the fork, placing my fingers right up under where the bands are tied, has increased my consistency a good deal. Don't know if it'll solve it for you, but it's worth a shot.

·
2,153 Posts
"Worth a shot" ...no pun intended? Ha Ha! I'm sorry, it just made me smile.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree with smitty.
Any one can master any shooting method through practice, practice and practice.
The difference is just how much practice needed for mastering it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Second what Pelleteer said. It's important to have your fingers as close to the ears as possible. At least thats what i've found in my own shooting.

·
Super Moderator
6,602 Posts
My problem lately (it figures right before tournament time!) is releasing too soon. I acquire the target,and then release too fast before I'm really keyed into it. I have to slow down my whole routine and get back into rythum. I'll be shooting tomorrow for a couple of hours-no people-no phones-no interuptions-and inside too. Got permission from a friend to use his warehouse! Hopefully we'll get out of this slump!
Flatband

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I need all of the advantages that I can give myself, so here are some of my thoughts on the subject of fliers. Several years ago I made some test on hardware addressing the problem of fliers. These tests suggest that with a one by three inch pouch, you will get occasional fliers when sight shooting if the fork throat spread is less that 2 3/8 inch. That is why I always use 2 1/2 inches on mine. I also like the inside of the throat to be rounded and smooth. When I try to shoot a fork narrower than this I get an occasional flier. Now with a good flip style shooter this does not apply, however the flip style takes much longer to master than sight shooting. - Tex ------ PS, if you really want to see how accurate a frame is when sight shooting, here is a test. Lock the frame down on a bench and 30 inches back, lock down a draw pin so your draw length stays constant. Then see how tight of a group the frame will shoot from 30 feet. A good frame should shoot about a one inch group. Warning, don't do this if you have special emotional feelings about a certain frame, because this could become very upsetting or distraughtful to you.

Reactions: Ravensbull

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need all of the advantages that I can give myself, so here are some of my thoughts on the subject of fliers. Several years ago I made some test on hardware addressing the problem of fliers. These tests suggest that with a one by three inch pouch, you will get occasional fliers when sight shooting if the fork throat spread is less that 2 3/8 inch. That is why I always use 2 1/2 inches on mine. I also like the inside of the throat to be rounded and smooth. When I try to shoot a fork narrower than this I get an occasional flier. Now with a good flip style shooter this does not apply, however the flip style takes much longer to master than sight shooting. - Tex ------ PS, if you really want to see how accurate a frame is when sight shooting, here is a test. Lock the frame down on a bench and 30 inches back, lock down a draw pin so your draw length stays constant. Then see how tight of a group the frame will shoot from 30 feet. A good frame should shoot about a one inch group. Warning, don't do this if you have special emotional feelings about a certain frame, because this could become very upsetting or distraughtful to you.
I'm new to shooting flips. Started this winter in my basement shooting at about 5 yards at small targets. Good to know that it is just a matter of practice and patience so I'll keep at it. BTY Tex are you still selling band sets on-line? I bought some on e-bay and went on recently and couldn't find them any more.

Don

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I got too busy to sell on EBay, but they are here under vender classifieds. -- Tex

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got too busy to sell on EBay, but they are here under vender classifieds. -- Tex
Good to know I can still get them Tex, Thanks. I think I may have solved to some degree my accuracy problem. I took the flat gum rubber bands off the flip I was struggling with and replaced it with a tapered red tube band from trumark. It was one that i recycled from a trumark wrist rocket by cutting off the damaged ends. Pull is a little stiff but my shots are straighter and my hit miss ratio improved quickly. Time will tell how well they hold up with them being mounted on the forks with zip ties. This kind of experimentation is what keeps me interested in slingshots. By the way, I have one of those natural fork slingshots from Thialand coming my way. Bands don't look like much but the sling itself looks well made. Any of you other guys have one? Tell me your impressions if you do have one.

Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know I can still get them Tex, Thanks. I think I may have solved to some degree my accuracy problem. I took the flat gum rubber bands off the flip I was struggling with and replaced it with a tapered red tube band from trumark. It was one that i recycled from a trumark wrist rocket by cutting off the damaged ends. Pull is a little stiff but my shots are straighter and my hit miss ratio improved quickly. Time will tell how well they hold up with them being mounted on the forks with zip ties. This kind of experimentation is what keeps me interested in slingshots. By the way, I have one of those natural fork slingshots from Thialand coming my way. Bands don't look like much but the sling itself looks well made. Any of you other guys have one? Tell me your impressions if you do have one.

Don
[/quote]
Ok, I've arrived at a conclusion that tube bands are the best type for me to use. I put another set of recycled tube bands on another flip I have and it too shoots much more accurately then it did with latex flat bands. I know its not traditional, even though tradition is important to me,if I shoot this well with non traditional bands then thats the way it goes.

Don

PS I live in NH do any of you guys know of a slingshot club in NH? I was thinking of getting one started if there wasn't one existing already.

·
2,153 Posts
I like tubes also. Before I found the Dankung 20-40 and 17-45 I liked Trumark RR-T red tapered tubes the best. Like you, for me they were more accurate. I never put them on the slingshot right out of the package either. I stretch both tubes, as if they are on a fork, between my hands to find the proper length. For me, that is where they stop stretching at two inches past my draw length. This gives very good performance for target shooting.

Here are two I rigged with RR-Ts: Vertebrate Wood Mammal Bicycle part Font

If I did it today, I would shorten the leather to where the hole for the tube would be as close to the slingshot as possible. I tried attaching the tube directly like flats, but I felt it shot better with the leather for over the top. I was obviously concerned about the leather hitting me in the face, but it proved itself that even one groove with no screw is plenty to hold it in place with stretched rubber around the groove.
P.S. the hole at the bottom of the handle holds a mag flashlight for night shooting. It works very well. This one has a set screw to keep the light from moving in the hole, even though the hole is snug on the mini-mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like tubes also. Before I found the Dankung 20-40 and 17-45 I liked Trumark RR-T red tapered tubes the best. Like you, for me they were more accurate. I never put them on the slingshot right out of the package either. I stretch both tubes, as if they are on a fork, between my hands to find the proper length. For me, that is where they stop stretching at two inches past my draw length. This gives very good performance for target shooting.

Here are two I rigged with RR-Ts: View attachment 914

If I did it today, I would shorten the leather to where the hole for the tube would be as close to the slingshot as possible. I tried attaching the tube directly like flats, but I felt it shot better with the leather for over the top. I was obviously concerned about the leather hitting me in the face, but it proved itself that even one groove with no screw is plenty to hold it in place with stretched rubber around the groove.
P.S. the hole at the bottom of the handle holds a mag flashlight for night shooting. It works very well. This one has a set screw to keep the light from moving in the hole, even though the hole is snug on the mini-mag.
Smitty,

Thats a cool set up you have on those slings. Right now I'm just using zip ties to mount the bands right to the forks. It takes a little doing but if I stretch the bands as I tighten the zip ties the bands stay on very nicely. Some times I have to make second or third attempts to get them on tight enough but it works. My accuracy has definitly improved and I am looking forward to setting up future slingshots in the same way.

Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Here are two I rigged with RR-Ts: View attachment 914

Smitty,

I tried your set up on one of those silly animal carved slingshots sold on ebay and I was amazed at the results. I used a standard pull trumark tube band set up the way you pictured and got a solid little shooter that put 80% of my shots inside a 3 inch target at 5 yards. I took it outside and shot at the same 3 inch targets and though not as accurate at 10 yards I was still pleased with the results. I'm confident that with practice this set up will give me 80% accuracy at ten yards on a 4 inch target no problem. I love this forum it keeps me interested in trying new techniques and tricks to improve my shooting.

Don

·
2,153 Posts
Don, have you tried 17-45 tubes or 1/16" x 3/16" tubes on a fork with a 3" to 3 1/2" span? You can get the fractional sized tubes from Reef Scuba. They are great people to deal with. I think they are accurate to shoot.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Ok you flip shooters, I have a question. How do you get consistant accuracy from your flips? I've been shooting some flips I put together this winter and shooting them at targets 10 meters away. I'll shoot dead on a few times then get irratic with shots going high with pronounced rainbow trajectories or shooting wide. I'm guessing that grip variences have something to do with this but I can't pin point what I'm doing wrong. My wrist rockets take a lot of these variables out by virtue of their design and release is one of just a few variables that can screw up a shot. What do you flip shooters do to eliminate grip related errors?

Don
Man, just dont do it anymore. you gotta think about it way to much for it to ever be fruitful. you are working it way too hard. Throw that yoke of bondage off and just have fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Don
Man, just dont do it anymore. you gotta think about it way to much for it to ever be fruitful. you are working it way too hard. Throw that yoke of bondage off and just have fun.
[/quote]
Dgui,

I appreciate what your saying but to me trying to figure out how to shoot better is fun. If and when I get frustrated and uptight, I put it aside for a few days and then go back at it with a fresh attitude. I'm not trying to feed myself with a slingshot so ultimatly it all boils down to fun.

Don

1 - 20 of 33 Posts