Slingshots Forum banner

Flipkung 3g Mod

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  toolmantf99 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

A small update on my progress on making slingshots. Now that I have a bit free time I can enjoy shooting and making them

A month ago a purchased 2 FlipKung cores from Nathan and some other shooting stuff. I decided I wanted three different wood types laminated to the core. My choice was: Macassar Ebony, Amarello and Rosewood Bahia for the palmswells.

Head Sleeve Wood Art Personal protective equipment
Wood Tool Bicycle part Art String instrument

To save some money I decided to buy "defective" FlipKungs from Nathan. They have minor nicks and dents from the machining process which isn't a problem at all. I would have had to sand a lot of to get a very shiny and perfect surface on the metal. Only equipped with handtools this time and the fact that stainless steel is a pain to work I made a compromise and decided to leave the imperfections. After all I like them now

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory
Wood Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Auto part Fashion accessory
Wood Tool Material property Hardwood Bicycle part

As I only have shot flatbands OTT so far now I can shoot all different types and styles which I am really looking forward to. At this time the catty is equipped with some 1745s Chinese style. Plenty much power behind this setup. Accuracy isn't the best yet as I will have to acclimate first.

Wood Cookie cutter Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain
Tool Wood Finger Hand tool Art

The FlipKung hasn't a finish on yet, it only has been in a linseed oil bath for 3 days. It's still sweating as from time to time oil is coming to the surface. I thought the contrast between the red palmswells and the yellow body would come out better. Perhaps a spacer in between would have been handy? I also don't understand why the right fork tip has darkened so much. Perhaps my linseed oil isn't the best anymore because I reused it several times by now for different slingshots. Nevertheless I am quite happy with the result and I hope you like it too.
Pics aren't the best I know. Its's raining outside and I dont have good lighting conditions in here. When the slingshot is finished I will take some better pictures outdoors.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Art Metal

On the right is a Bill Hays' inspired MiniHunter (thanks for that cool design by the way) I was shooting recently. Love the natural latex bands for target shooting. It's a boardcut from a wood named "prunus padus". Some sort of cherry. Palmswell is plum. Thing is this kind of tree was on my property and sick so I had to cut it down. I also have gathered a few very nice forks from that tree. I am looking forward on my first natural which will be my next project.

Greetings, Simon

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Very nice work Simon! I bet it has a great feel in the hand. I am not familiar with the rosewood you used for the palmswell. It looks similar to a wood called marblewood(not sure of the genus). I would imagine that it will 'mellow' in color with age and in a short time look even better. You did a really good job on the whole thing.

Did you add any weight to the fork tips or handle? If not, you can on the next frame to help facilitate your preferred shooting style. I have weighted the cavities on the fork tip with lead shot in order to initiate a 'flip' upon release. I can't say if it helped, but it certainly did not hurt.

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments. I'm happy you like it.
@Nathan: No, haven't done this yet. As you asked I remembered you mentioned it in one of your videos. I'll try this out one the other FlipKung. Did you melt the lead shot or did you just put them in the cavity and fix it with glue?

Greetings, Simon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.