Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ultraman commissioned a Flippinout masterpiece. He gave me a few design elements that he was fond of, a generalized budget, and my artistic freedom to create. Here is what i came up with for him-

He wanted a slingshot with a full palm swell. He was fond of highly figured woods and darker colors of wood. He sent me several scans of his hand for fitting purposes and off to the shop I went.

I had been saving a special piece of Redwood burl for several years, and this project was to be the home for it. The grain displays a wavy character with intersecting grain patterns. I worked to make sure that the bits of the frame exposed, revealed this figure. The redwood burl sandwiched a Purpleheart core. Purpleheart was chosen for it's mass and strength so as to provide security for the relatively weak Redwood. The accent stripes are maple and Sapele Mahogany, which reveal themselves subtly within the finger grooves on the forks.

Of course, he wanted a full palm swell and nothing speaks class like Macassar Ebony. In order to balance the ebony palm swell, i added Ebony fork tips on angles. I also included a Paduak accent stripe in the fork tip overlays for visual contrast and subtle blingness. The frame was fitted to Ultraman's hand via the scans he sent, sanded to an ultra smooth finish, and heavily sprayed with a two part conversion finish. Once dry, it was wet sanded with 1200 grit, then polished and buffed to bring out all the inherent beauty of the now partnered woods.

It is one of the prettiest slingshots I have ever made and know that it will be going to a collector/shooter who will appreciate all of the details.

Thanks for looking

Nathan

I also sent him a nylon trainer of the same dimensions(minus the palm swell) to learn on so as not to damage the wooden frame with fork hits- although that is part of the reason for the ebony overlay. But who wants to take that risk and damage a pretty face like that??

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! A masterpiece for sure.

Tell me, how do you cope with giving such a frame away? You obviously put in heartblood by the gallon. Just the polishing must have taken hours.

Jörg
I will create slingshots out of necessity. If i don't, then the world may come to a screeching halt, the planets may stop moving about the sun, and plants will stop growing
With that said- it has become less difficult to let my works out and it especially helps when someone is willing and able to compensate me for my time, efforts, and talent. This slingshot was not inexpensive- and Ultraman still got a heck of a deal considering the time and energy invested.

I simply love slingshots and making them for others that share my passion!!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
----Very Nice work Nathan----
--------You are a master Flip artisan--------
-------------Keep striving for well set Goals----------
--------------The heartfelt skilled incorporation of exotic materials,,along with the beautiful finish work = functional ART !-----------------
----------------------------------Congrats to Ultraman---------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Having the talent to shape wood that way is amazing.
Having the sense of style to combine that many elements without the end result being garish is a gift.
Having the knowlege of slingshot dynamics to build a frame that is a joy to shoot and seems to fit everyone who picks one up like it's a custom piece is something only a very talented few can accomplish.
Flippinout combines all three.
Great work, Nathan!

·
Registered
126 Posts
This slingshot was not inexpensive- and Ultraman still got a heck of a deal considering the time and energy invested.
Considering the time, energy, expertise and outcome... Ultraman feels like he cheated you!

It may or may not be your first... but I'm sending you one HECK OF A TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathen, I can't thank you enough, Bill

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This slingshot was not inexpensive- and Ultraman still got a heck of a deal considering the time and energy invested.
Considering the time, energy, expertise and outcome... Ultraman feels like he cheated you!

It may or may not be your first... but I'm sending you one HECK OF A TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathen, I can't thank you enough, Bill
Bill,
No tips necessary. Just show it off, shoot it alot, and send more customers my way!!

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you to all. Half of the fun of making these beauties is sharing them with a bunch of fanatics that truly appreciate what I have created. I will be posting several more customs I have completed for members recently- though they are not as outrageously blingtastic as the one I made for Ultraman.

If anyone is feeling the urge to splurge on a fantastic frame, contact me soon- as I am in a fantastic creative groove right now and it seems as though no fork leaves the shop can be anything less than super awesome.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts