Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received this stunner in the mail box this week. I have admired Nathan's custom slingshots for many years. After handling it, I know why. The fit and finish is immaculate. The work of someone that actually cared what they were doing. It is made from birds-eye maple, cherry, black walnut and old lob-lolly pine. It had the original bands on it. As I do not believe in Safe Queens, I slept on it and put fresh bands on it this afternoon. I set it up for 8mm steel and the very first shot found it's mark. After a couple hundred rounds, it felt familiar. I was using my first Warrior pouch. It broke in rapidly and was a ease to release. This fork may be a keeper. I thought it was an Axiom until I got my hands on it. It is on the large side. 2.5" fork gap...but I am willing to bet there are far fewer Omegas in existence today. In any event, it is a pleasure to shoot and to own.

Wood Promethea Silkmoth Reptile Scaled reptile Tool
Wood Tableware Creative arts Natural material Art

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, it is a delight to behold. It is pretty enough to bring out once a year and hang on the Christmas Tree. I'm gonna shoot it, enjoy it, and take care of it. I would like to know what he used as a finish in 2011. I know that he used a few different ones. The one on it feels tacky after 50 shots, but is shining like new money.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nathan has a gift- to be sure. This is my favorite slingshot of all time, and slingshot of the year in 2014. I consider it a masterpiece:

IMG_8404.JPG

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/39388-waste-not-want-not/
Yes, that is a beautiful piece of work....but to put phillips screws anywhere near it is a travesty. I love Nathans work, but I personal think screws brings the whole piece down a notch or two. I cannot imagine having to took at a phillips screw every time I aim.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I woke up this morning with this slingshot on my mind so I decided to run another couple hundred shots over her forks. I changed my normal choke hold (pinch grip) to a thumb supported out to the tip...she is consistently accurate at 40 yards shooting at a six inch gong. The warrior pouch feels like I have been using it for six months, totally broken in.

I wish she was smaller.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She is a pleasure to shoot. I wish she was an inch narrower between the forks. At 2.5" between the forks, she is a hand full to pinch at the tips...but a pleasure none the less. The palm swell has bevels that feel nice and dig in.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been shooting this frame solely for two weeks now. I have found that it hits harder set up the same as the Mustang. But what has really fascinated me is that it is much more accurate if I point/tilt the fork tips towards the target. The tips are rounded not flat. do any of you all do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been shooting this frame solely for two weeks now. I have found that it hits harder set up the same as the Mustang. But what has really fascinated me is that it is much more accurate if I point/tilt the fork tips towards the target. The tips are rounded not flat. do any of you all do this?
Any thoughts on tilting the fork tips towards the target???

·
Registered
185 Posts
It has to do with having a straight wrist, when you point or tilt your fork tips forward you're creating a straight line with your bones from your back and shoulder down to your fingertip and takes you to that semi primal place in our brain of instinctive shooting with our ability to point at something and be pretty much in line and in point with it the straight wrist also helps stabilize your shot by helping absorb some of the pull weight back into your body i straight wrist a lot of my frames even with out rounded tips just for that reason

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It has to do with having a straight wrist, when you point or tilt your fork tips forward you're creating a straight line with your bones from your back and shoulder down to your fingertip and takes you to that semi primal place in our brain of instinctive shooting with our ability to point at something and be pretty much in line and in point with it the straight wrist also helps stabilize your shot by helping absorb some of the pull weight back into your body i straight wrist a lot of my frames even with out rounded tips just for that reason
Thank You! I overlooked the obvious. I have tried it with low-forked English frames and hit the web of my hand, even with a twisted pouch and years of practice.

Scar Leg Human body Knee Gesture

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,270 Posts
Thank You! I overlooked the obvious. I have tried it with low-forked English frames and hit the web of my hand, even with a twisted pouch and years of practice.

attachicon.gif
20200916_103725.jpg
And that's the moral of the story right there, so I try not too on some small or short frames. Some frames I tilt, but keeping a level sight window with my bands is my goal because my hand has looked like yours often enough :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.