Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Blue Skeen gave me a piece of antler recently- most likely mule deer or elk- he could not remember as he had it so long. After spending too much time trying to decide how to progress with it, i finally just started in on it and went freestyle- designing as a went. I had a lot of fun making this slingshot and got to try out some new techniques and materials. The handles were cut to accommodate cocobolo scales with maple veneer spacers. The antler was flat in cross section and didn't offer enough surface area for the hand. I then laminated the paduak/maple/micarta/bubinga over that, just for good looks and visual contrast. The ends of the forks and butt of the handle received ebony caps and the forks are pinned with walnut/aluminum/brass. It is rock solid and perty to boot!

I finished the frame with CA glue and boiled linseed oil, a trick i understand pen turners and duck call makers are using. It is easy to apply, super hard, fill cracks adn voids, and polishes up like a mirror.

The fork was built around my hand and fits like a glove. It has a great heft and shoots really well. And no, this fork will never be for sale.

Enjoy

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Gorgeous! I would like to know more on the CA glue and Boiled linseed oil technique. – Tex-Shooter

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Nathan, amazing, you are one talanted creative guy. Now, you need to pick up Blue again next year for the 2012 ECST and have him sign it for you. Well done Bud.
Philly

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Everything has a price!

Are you saying if someone offered you 10,000.00 CASH you
wouldn't sell it?

I don't think so!

Nice work though.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts