Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Sling rifles tend to make an appearance here from time to time.

I think they could have an application in areas where other hunting methods may be banned (I'd assume the laws may be vague on them in most places - so you'd probably need to use with caution) - But I'd personally go with an air rifle to achieve the same result - less chance of mistakes and potentially less chance of damage (and they may actually be cheaper to use).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Interesting device, but rather cumbersome to carry around, not to mention that rubber looses its punch when it's kept in a state of tension for too long.

Rubber stores heat as energy, which is why slingshot bands or tubes in general become less efficient in colder weather (that said, some of the newer Chinese flat band rubber does quite well indeed).

360 fps (to be confirmed...) is nothing to write home about: some slingshot shooters have achieved 400 fps, 280-300 fps with larger .38 cal ammo is quite common. With the right setup and shooting technique, accuracy can be excellent with a slingshot, and the thing usually fits inside your pocket - a big plus.

This slingshot rifle is too expensive: US$ 320 would buy some really nice top notch slingshots and accessories, materials and tools to make multiple different slingshots, or simply a good .177 air rifle with a basic scope.

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
While this is an interesting sling rifle, it is way too expensive and way overpowered for the ammo recommended. With 4 1745 tubes, 1/2 inch steel would be more appropriate. For what it's worth, my deer/squirrel/bird gun cost less than $300.00. For that I got a 20 ga Mossberg Maverick 88, with a rifled choke tube, an Aimpoint scope mount and a Tasco 3-9x scope. On a more appropriate comparison, my accurate Crosman .177 cal pellet rifle with 4x scope was free, but you can get a similar one for less than $150.00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have and use airguns
I am intregued at the options of having cheap ammo to shoot
Yes metal balls are less costly than molded pellets

I do see simliar products marketed in the low $100 range

I wonder if this is an attempt by the manufacture to put out an eBay price to see who's going to pay for what package and it's basically the same era gone I've seen the prices from $143 and $126 and the $320 range she was bundled with other products as support equipment back and we got and elsewhere I would buy several many replacement bands

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
It's cool.

But, then again, it's crazy.

But, it is kind of cool.

But, you know, it's crazy.

As an aside: I have seen a lot of people spend crazy amounts of money on slingshots that don't shoot any better than a free natural. It's the eye of the beholder that matters, I guess. If you can afford it I'd like to hear how it shoots. Or go make a natural and accomplish the same thing with something that will fit in your pocket.

It is cool though.

Too bad it's so crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Although I prefer a more pocketable slingshot... Sling rifles do have their place and to be honest about it, I'm far better with one than with a standard slingshot. BUT, because I wanted a REAL challenge, I threw open the gate to ALL competitors in my contests... you can use a standard slingshot OR a slingshot-rifle... you just can't use enhanced optics is all, and that includes lasers, scopes, red dots and the like. Old style iron sights are fine.

So anyway, because I opened the contests to slingrifles, I needed to show people some easy ones they could make themselves...

Three levels of "slingrifles"... that most people with simple tools can make themselves.... They go down in complexity and skill on how to make them as you progress, in fact, the last one was modified slightly and made into a Christmas tree slingrifle by Jorge Sprave in one of his older videos.... something any survivalist minded person could make themselves in a very short period of time.

This one you can make super compact by making a folding stock incorporation, and using telescoping tubing for the front part instead of the basic model shown. In fact it has the potential to be one of, if not the, shortest compact (backpack carry) slingrifles you can make.

This one is also very handy and can be made to be super short for easy carry... just use telescoping tube instead.

If you can't make this one.... then you might think about pursuing a different hobby!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Winnie: If that's a pellet rifle / walking cane... that's about the coolest thing I've seen all year. Don't want to railroad the topic, but that's super interesting! Maybe you could do a post in the airgun section of the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Airguns... in all kinds of design and appearance have been around far longer than slingshots... and of course they have a higher accuracy potential for leisure shooters as well. In fact, Lewis and Clark had a couple they took on their expedition... it was supposed to be powerful enough to take deer, and it was real quiet as well... a real conversation starter with many of the indigenous people they encountered.

Slingshot rifles will have a long way to go before they are as easy to use as even a cheap air rifle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts