Slingshots Forum banner

Folding Wide Bands To Fit a Narrow Slingshot

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  StringSlap 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if others out there fold their bands to fit their slingshots. I can't say I can remember seeing a band that is wider than the top of the fork here on the forum.

It's very common for me to fold and tie a 7/8 (22mm) inch band onto the top of a 1/2 (12mm) inch wide fork. I've been doing it for years but, like I said, I can't remember others doing so.

I like my slingshots to be small and this enables me to use big bands on them.

#5 ·
In lieu of a photo here is a description of what I do.

Imagine a 1inch wide band. Fold it in half so that one end it is now 1/2 inch wide and 2x thick. Lay it over the top of the fork as per usual and tie it on OTT. I do this far more than I tie bands on that are narrower than the forks.

I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

#6 ·

Imagine a 1inch wide band. Fold it in half so that one end it is now 1/2 inch wide and 2x thick. Lay it over the top of the fork as per usual and tie it on OTT. I do this far more than I tie bands on that are narrower than the forks.

I've also been doing it for years. I think it's better then double bands. When I fold them,I always keep the folds facing inward whether on a TTT or an OTT. The edges face outward. Have fun!

#8 ·

I've also been doing it for years. I think it's better then double bands. When I fold them,I always keep the folds facing inward whether on a TTT or an OTT. The edges face outward. Have fun!
Well, that answers that question for me. I always tie so that the edges of the band face inward. I guess we're fine either way - which speaks to slingshot shooting in general. We have a fork, a set of bands, pouch and ties and with those combinations there seem to be hundreds of possible variations.

#13 ·
I do it too. It's easier to fold a wide band than to cut out twice as many narrow bands, There is a limit though. I don't like folding more than twice at the fork. Then I'd rather run multiple narrow bands or buy some thicker rubber.

#19 ·
Chef here:

Just want to say that is an absolutely wicked idea. I have folded bands over in the past but I've never thought to do it in such a precise way. I've folded some TBB to make so pretty powerful bands but it was just out of necessity, I love the idea of folding some 1" wide TBG to better fit the 3/4" fork tips on my chalice and have some powerful bands on there.

Will definitely be trying this soon, thanks for sharing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Cut some strips of blue SPRI exercise band (medium weight) 1.5" by 10" folded them lengthwise. No problem attaching them to a pouch and then making loops on the slingshot end for my Jack Koehler Alley Cat and my Torque. Works great for flinging 3/8" steel at paper targets. Much easier than dealing with double bands and seemed stronger.

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.