Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Been making and developing my board cut slingshots and I've been putting in a lot of practice. I hold the slingshot in my right hand normally but I've found that my elbow feels a little sore and I don't really want to aggravate it so I've been shooting with the slingshot in my left hand and it's all good. I'm hitting the targets pretty consistently. Do many of you shoot with both hands? And is it common to get a sore wrist - sorry I meant elbow - I had to edit this...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i do not shoot with both, and i will put my money on most people only whoot with 1 hand. the reason your wrist is sore is because the bands put pressure on your wrist. if you shoot hammer grip you will be more prone to hurting your wrist than if you brace to forks with your pointer finger/thumb

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I hold the frame with my right hand, and my left elbow gets a little tender. So I have cut back a little. I think it's great you're switching hands. I had to change my pouch grip 10 months ago, and I won the East Coast Tourny this past Spring. So stick with it, and you'll be amazed with the return on your effort.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have progressed on from shooting hammer grip exclusively. I'm now supporting the forks with my thumb and first finger. My right wrist is a bit sore anyway....I've sprained the tendons there from hitting a punch bag way too hard too often. My Doctor tells me to lay off the punchbag for a few weeks. But I'm not feeling any pain in my wrist.

Performance Catapults - sorry I don't know your name yet....you feel pain in the elbow that is pulling on the pouch? I found that I need to use my left eye to aim when I'm holding the slingshot in my right hand and my right eye when the slingshot is in my left hand. Was odd at first but now it seems okay.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Performance Catapults - sorry I don't know your name yet....you feel pain in the elbow that is pulling on the pouch? I found that I need to use my left eye to aim when I'm holding the slingshot in my right hand and my right eye when the slingshot is in my left hand. Was odd at first but now it seems okay.
Name is Jim. Yes, I feel a little pain in the pouch elbow. I've went back to a quicker release to maybe help eleviate this issue. My opinion on this, is that holding the draw for too long might be bringing on this problem. So I go into almost a "flip" mode, for fun.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I shoot with both hands, but I have a good palm grip which spreads the weight into the whole arm; if you get sore, I suggest you put the shooter down for a bit and gently massage the painful area (nearly all elbow pain will come from strain on the trachial tendon aka the funny bone). YOU SHOULD NEVER SHOOT ON A SORE ARM! it's not worth causing yourself damage and not being able to shoot anymore ... and I too can miss with either hand.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Been making and developing my board cut slingshots and I've been putting in a lot of practice. I hold the slingshot in my right hand normally but I've found that my elbow feels a little sore and I don't really want to aggravate it so I've been shooting with the slingshot in my left hand and it's all good. I'm hitting the targets pretty consistently. Do many of you shoot with both hands? And is it common to get a sore wrist - sorry I meant elbow - I had to edit this...
I don't, fortunately I don't shoot enough to develop any problems, but I'm very impressed that you can still retain your accuracy.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I hold the slingshot in my left hand as I would shoot a bow. I have tried switching hands ... the outcome is NOT good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.