Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month SharpshooterJD (Josh) posted a bent-wire slingshot in his signature narrow ttf style. I PMed him to ask about it and that one was gone but he had a couple others I could choose from. I picked a 5/16 forged one in a similar ttf configuration. Just a disclaimer: I paid full price for this shooter.
It showed up yesterday and I snuck in a few shots with it today. It's just what I wanted! The outside fork width is just under 2.5", which works great with ttf.
The design is very simple, just a great symmetrical shape with slots in the top of the forks. Just because it's simple doesn't mean that a lot of thought didn't go into it, though. It fits the hand perfectly and the sight picture is ideal. Even with a moderately heavy draws weight the shape distributes the force evenly over the contact points of the hand.
I was concerned that a lack of an ergo shape would make the hold uncomfortable, but it doesn't so far.
I have double Simple-Shot blacks bands on it for shooting 1/2" steel. This isn't what Josh recommends and I don't imagine he fully endorses. He recommends using singles with matchstick attachment, which works great. I have a small piece of latex between the two layers, which makes for a tight fit in the slots, then they go around the outside of the forks. I have no worries about this attachment being secure.
I plan to shoot this frame almost exclusively for a while as part of the ongoing "slingshot dojo" over in the Art of Shooting section.

Bicycle handlebar Communication Device Eyewear Bicycle part Gesture

Hand Arm Automotive tire Sleeve Finger

Gesture Finger Thumb Wood Grass

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thank you so much for the kind review man! I greatly appreciate your thoughtful comments, and I am so glad you like it! I used to make ergo shooters almost exclusively, but I found some people didn't understand which way they were meant to be held, and would often shoot them backwards, so I switched to making them symmetrical. I still make some great ergo 3/8 inchers (like the one I shot at ECST) if you're ever interested :). Have fun with it man! And let me know if you ever notice anything I could do to improve them. I trust your input.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some more shooting with this frame over the last couple days and can't say enough good things about it!
The size and shape are perfect for forgetting about the frame and concentrating on shooting. It disappears in the hand but is rock solid because it's made of iron (or steel. Pretty sure it's iron, though ). The density and weight of the frame soak up any recoil, as well.
I honestly have no desire to shoot anything else right now.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I took this rig out to the woods today and another benefit of the design became clear: It's quiet!
Even with doubled flats on it whispers. TTF and doubles is usually a recipe for a loud slap noise with the shot, but this doesn't have any frontal area for the bands to smash into. I'm hoping this translates to increased band life. I'm betting it will.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Excuse the crap illustration, would it be possible to have one made like this just for flats? I feel like it would look awesome. :)
79c7d707f6a551aab98306e182f5f0a8.jpg

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Excuse the crap illustration, would it be possible to have one made like this just for flats? I feel like it would look awesome. :)
79c7d707f6a551aab98306e182f5f0a8.jpg

Possibly man. I have thought about it before, but it would be very difficult. So, I would have to cut the slots before I bent the forks. But to bend the forks I need heat and pressure which will close the newly cut slots. If I could fashion a spacer to fit in between the slots to hold the slots open while I bend the forks, it would work. I could see if I could make a spacer next time I'm in the shop and I will let you know. Not very confident I can do it though.

Reactions: Tag and BushpotChef

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
@SharpshooterJD
You may not feel this way, but I am pretty confident that you can do it. Like 100% confident.
Theres no problem without a solution, and nothing that a crafty.....craftsman, can't do.
So, just do it
I hope he does. I think it would look rad and shoot lasers.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Bushpotchef, you do understand that this would shoot like a pfs, right?
Lol of course. If youre joking about how I said it would shoot 'lasers' , its a term we used in paintball for guns that shot perfectly straight at short ranges haha. And if youre joking about how much I love PFSs, at this point Ive given up on fighting it. Im obsessed and I must own and shoot all reputable PFS designs LOL.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I am still resisting Chef lol! Let's see for how long
You mean youre still resisting the call of the mighty PFS!? FOR SHAME! LOL just kidding my friend, you'll come around in your own time haha.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Flat top shooter anyone?

This is the best I can do at the moment. Was hoping I'd have enough space to get my band saw blade between the forks to cut the slits, but I only had about a 1/4 inch gap, so decided to squish the forks together and turn it into a flat top shooter. Kind of unconventional but I think it'll still shoot pretty well. I'll try to test it soon. Maybe in a video :).

Reactions: Tag and BushpotChef
1 - 20 of 31 Posts