Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, super new at this. Decided i wanted to start using a slingshot and a long long way down the track (maybe) shoot some rabbits. Only problem is i didn’t have a slingshot, so i made one out of some scrap rebar with a welder, grinder, mapp gas torch, pliers and a hammer. The first one turned out very big as i’m a leave lots of excess, cut once, measure never and hope kind of person. It shoots alright with chained rubber bands and a masking tape pouch but i suspect there will be too much torque when the proper flatbands i ordered arrive. This led me to make a second one which was much smaller, with metal flattened and holes punched through for a paracord tab to sit in as well as aesthetics; i’m very inexperienced in blacksmithing and only self taught but i reckon it turned out pretty well for the equipment/practice i have had. Then i showed my mate how to make one today and decided to make myself another one which isn’t in it’s handle yet as all the wood was wet. Handles are just eucalyptus branches from the yard. Let me know if you have any tips for better ways to attach bands or anything else. thanks for reading (c: photo contains my a5 notebook for scale
Wood Table Wood stain Gas Hardwood
Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Wood

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious, what kind of steels are good for this, and do you have to heat treat and temper to a targeted hardness?
I just used stock standard 10 mm ish reo, because it isn’t being used with hard impacts i didn’t bother too much with being finnicky about tempering, probably something i will look into in the future when i have a better set up. I did quench the tips as i didn’t want them to bend and then i assume they’d temper when i heated the bottom up to bend and weld

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good. As you go keep in mind that anything less that a near-mirror finish of the exposed metal will come into contact with your elastic at some point and result in a short life for the bands or tubes.
Very good point, i had made it and then realised this, my solution was the paracord tabs but i also did some cotton wrapping that i forgot to include in the post, i’ll put pic in now, do you think paracord would be a decent fix?
Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Thumb

· Ray Rowden
3,251 Posts
So, I think all those shooters have great aesthetic appeal. The smaller ones do look like better shooters.
Also, the secret to controlling torque while shooting is to place your index finger and thumb up on the forks where they take the strain.
A little file and sandpaper work on the forks will probably improve band life. But if you're getting good life with the office rubber, the latex should survive as well, so don't get carried away.
I can see paratabs or leather tabs working to mount bands. I think you might consider mounting flats on the hammered versions with an old school "ocularis" twist - cork, rubber or silicone plug that fits into the hole and holds the bands with a friction fit. Might have to true up the holes a bit.
Automotive design Grey Headgear Personal protective equipment Bicycle handlebar

This one was by Black Sheep Forge.
Keep hammering away, Mighty @Shmaud !

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I think all those shooters have great aesthetic appeal. The smaller ones do look like better shooters.
Also, the secret to controlling torque while shooting is to place your index finger and thumb up on the forks where they take the strain.
A little file and sandpaper work on the forks will probably improve band life. But if you're getting good life with the office rubber, the latex should survive as well, so don't get carried away.
I can see paratabs or leather tabs working to mount bands. I think you might consider mounting flats on the hammered versions with an old school "ocularis" twist - cork, rubber or silicone plug that fits into the hole and holds the bands with a friction fit. Might have to true up the holes a bit.
View attachment 355543
This one was by Black Sheep Forge.
Keep hammering away, Mighty @Shmaud !
Great tips! I think i might go with the tabs on these ones and maybe put a bit more time and pre thought into the next one, great tip for the forks. i think the big one might just be good for low power plinking though because the forks are 15-20cm long vertically and i don’t know how much strain my tendons can take haha, it won’t fit in my pocket anyhow.

· Mojave Mo
5,592 Posts
Very good point, i had made it and then realised this, my solution was the paracord tabs but i also did some cotton wrapping that i forgot to include in the post, i’ll put pic in now, do you think paracord would be a decent fix? View attachment 355535
I think you are on the right track. I also acknowledge the input from KawKan because he has been in the game for a long time. You’ll know soon enough if your setup has longevity!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.