Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I joined this forum years ago. My ambition was to make *drumroll* slingshots and lots of them too. I pictured myself collecting forks and processing them in a very zen like way. It didn't really happen. Yes, I collected a bunch of forks but that was it. I made one slingshot and that experience wasn't too exciting. ???? I lived in an apartment then. Years passed and now I live on an old farm. I started to think about slingshots a couple of weeks ago, feeling a tingle in my stomach, and today I found a few of my old forks. Memories and fresh excitement came washing over me. Now I am back at the forum and I also just ordered some Theraband. I know that I have more forks in a box somewhere but this is it for now. Thank you for reading! ????

Spalted ash, I think.
Wood Finger Plant Grass Trunk

Hand Wood Gesture Plant Finger

Birch
Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Hardwood

Plant Wood Gesture Natural material Finger

Another birch
Wood Gesture Natural material Finger Thumb

Hand Wood Gesture Finger Thumb

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
Hello!

I joined this forum years ago. My ambition was to make *drumroll* slingshots and lots of them too. I pictured myself collecting forks and processing them in a very zen like way. It didn't really happen. Yes, I collected a bunch of forks but that was it. I made one slingshot and that experience wasn't too exciting. I lived in an apartment then. Years passed and now I live on an old farm. I started to think about slingshots a couple of weeks ago, feeling a tingle in my stomach, and today I found a few of my old forks. Memories and fresh excitement came washing over me. Now I am back at the forum and I also just ordered some Theraband. I know that I have more forks in a box somewhere but this is it for now. Thank you for reading!

Spalted ash, I think.
attachicon.gif
3BE4102E-E5E1-4BB6-B267-26E70A7559F4.jpeg
attachicon.gif
EC465C5A-32ED-4A3E-BB28-2CAD350CFE5B.jpeg

Birch
attachicon.gif
E8DBB5A2-2DB1-483C-8FD5-D76523AC0BCE.jpeg
attachicon.gif
A67CCF3A-8E7B-4B7D-B3F9-8E6B2523C5AC.jpeg

Another birch
attachicon.gif
27515CA2-FC72-4389-84B6-7F9018E5917B.jpeg
attachicon.gif
FE5D43D0-CEEB-459B-B321-5C9334F16B97.jpeg
Chris,that spalted Ash or Birch is GORGEOUS my friend!
I'd be sanding that one up to around 1200 grit, then letting it bathe overnight in a bag full of BLO, topping that off with a good coat or two of paste wax, then hand buffed to bring out the natural luster.
Would look amazing ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. Hope this time you find great enjoyment in this advocation.
Thank you! Seems as I have a gap in my vocabulary - What does advocation mean?

Welcome back! Some great looking forks you got there!
Thank you, Slingdude! Can't wait to find my other ones.

Welcome back .
Thanks Treefork! :thumbsup:

Chris - Glad you're here - As far as the tingle in your stomach....You're either hungry or it's gas!! Looks like you're off to a good 2nd start
Thank you! I am glad to still be here. :) Might have to investigate the gas vs. the hunger issue. :D I'll try to follow through with the forks.

Welcome back - looking forward to reading more posts and seeing more natties!
Thank you B.R! Yes, I'll try to stay at it. :)

Nothing like a little natural to get the slingjuices flowing!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mmm... Slingjuice... :)

Birch naturals awesome
Thank you, Bingo! Yeah, I think so too.

I'd be sanding that one up to around 1200 grit, then letting it bathe overnight in a bag full of BLO, topping that off with a good coat or two of paste wax, then hand buffed to bring out the natural luster.

Wow! Thank you, mister! :) The angled handle is surprisingly comfortable. But please, talk more to me about paste wax and buffing.

Looks like you've got a couple projects to keep you busy! :thumbsup:
Yes, indeed! Still I couldn't help myself to collect a couple of more forks today.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
Welcome. Hope this time you find great enjoyment in this advocation.

Welcome back! Some great looking forks you got there!
Thank you, Slingdude! Can't wait to find my other ones.

Welcome back .
Thanks Treefork! :thumbsup:

Chris - Glad you're here - As far as the tingle in your stomach....You're either hungry or it's gas!! Looks like you're off to a good 2nd start
Thank you! I am glad to still be here. :) Might have to investigate the gas vs. the hunger issue. :D I'll try to follow through with the forks.

Welcome back - looking forward to reading more posts and seeing more natties!
Thank you B.R! Yes, I'll try to stay at it. :)

Nothing like a little natural to get the slingjuices flowing!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mmm... Slingjuice... :)

Birch naturals awesome
Thank you, Bingo! Yeah, I think so too.

Wow! Thank you, mister! :) The angled handle is surprisingly comfortable. But please, talk more to me about paste wax and buffing.
Chris, I like the paste wax as my last step. It seems to give a nice sheen to the wood, and also IMHO it gives a nice tactile feel as well, not so slick feeling

Looks like you've got a couple projects to keep you busy! :thumbsup:
Yes, indeed! Still I couldn't help myself to collect a couple of more forks today.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

Sorry.. I forget that english is not all you nice people's mother tongue.
A vocation is a persons regular employment. An advocation is something like a hobby, something someone does for enjoyment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of your supportive comments! Here's an update on the spalted fork. It's been filed, sanded and burnished. Now it will soak a bit in linseed oil. ????
Hand Gesture Wood Finger Artifact
Hand Plant Gesture Wood Finger
Hand Gesture Finger Plant Wood

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
RB (my pick-up) will not roll past a pile of tree trimmings, I have talked to him, but he just don't listen. He just stops automatically and won't go until I have looked! No complaints though as I love naturals. The best flip shooter that i have ever shot with, shot a natural fork and I believe if he ever went to a tournament, he would shoot the pants off of everyone there! - Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts