Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,
I am new to this forums and new to slingshot. I started practising using TTF mini hammer. Am getting fork/hand hit at the same spot, not able to understand what went wrong and how projectile deviates from its path and hits at the fork.
For reference, I have attached the image.
Could you please comment your expert advice, what should I correct it.

Thank you friends

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Watch some of these videos they are very helpful. Fork and hand hits have several causes. I'm just guessing but since you are shooting TTF , you're may be speedbumping the ammo into the frame and hand.

·
Mojave Mo
4,833 Posts
Whenever I point my fork tips to far toward the target I hit the same spot on my hand. Making sure my fork face is square to the target is a thing I always focus on. If my release is off my rounds go off to the right (LHH and gangster).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are many factors, but most likely is your release.

Do a YouTube search there's plenty of good instructional information on shooting a slingshot.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ouch, man that looks painful! Welcome to the forum. I’m not an expert, actually a beginner myself. When I first, first started I shot TTF and loved it. That is until I had the pleasure of a bunch of fork hits followed by a hand hit with a 1/2 steel. lol
Everything the other guys said is on the ball. Stance, pouch grip, anchor point, forks square to the target. I kind of made that a mantra and kept repeating it mentally with every shot, screwing up one aspect or another repeatedly, but eventually, with practice it really does become like second nature.
I’ll add just a couple things since I was just recently where you are now. Typically when you’re starting out there’s a recommendation that you start in the over the top (OTT) band configuration. By no means is that a rule, but it’s a little more forgiving when it comes to fork hits.
You may be able to do it with that frame, and I could be wrong, but it doesn’t really look like it was designed for OTT. You might want to choose a sling with a wider top fork if you have one and go for OTT at first.
All the info for how to shoot is out there on YouTube but it’s scattered about pretty good.
There are a couple courses out there that are pretty helpful put on by some of the bigger slingshot companies. I took one and feel like I learned a lot. That and just a bunch of practice. I haven’t had a fork hit since. Knock on wood too, because that is no fun! Best of luck! And congrats on the cool battle new battle scar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are many factors, but most likely is your release.

Do a YouTube search there's plenty of good instructional information on shooting a slingshot.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your suggestion friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch, man that looks painful! Welcome to the forum. I’m not an expert, actually a beginner myself. When I first, first started I shot TTF and loved it. That is until I had the pleasure of a bunch of fork hits followed by a hand hit with a 1/2 steel. lol
Everything the other guys said is on the ball. Stance, pouch grip, anchor point, forks square to the target. I kind of made that a mantra and kept repeating it mentally with every shot, screwing up one aspect or another repeatedly, but eventually, with practice it really does become like second nature.
I’ll add just a couple things since I was just recently where you are now. Typically when you’re starting out there’s a recommendation that you start in the over the top (OTT) band configuration. By no means is that a rule, but it’s a little more forgiving when it comes to fork hits.
You may be able to do it with that frame, and I could be wrong, but it doesn’t really look like it was designed for OTT. You might want to choose a sling with a wider top fork if you have one and go for OTT at first.
All the info for how to shoot is out there on YouTube but it’s scattered about pretty good. I took the Simpleshot Academy class and I feel like I really benefitted from it. I felt like it walks you through learning to shoot fairly well. That’s just a personal recommendation though.
Like I said, it is all out there for free too, but that put it all into a single place for me, and in the right order. That and just a bunch of practice. I haven’t had a fork hit since. Knock on wood too, because that is no fun! Best of luck! And congrats on the cool battle new battle scar
Thanks for suggestion friend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with cromag, most of the time it's due to how you hold or release your ammo. Make sure you hold the ammo in the pouch and not in front of it. Also try to twist your pouch 90 degrees to your frame.
Thanks for your comments, whether twisting pouch 90deg works for TTF slingshot as well ?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Here are a few thoughts...
  • I always twist the pouch 90* when shooting TTF. No problems.
  • Check to be sure the top edge of the upper fork is parallel to the ground
  • Ensure the bands are pulling at right angle to the forks (see pics)
  • Check the fork gap to ensure you are not rotating the frame - torquing (see pics). I use my left eye to check this while at anchor (I hold frame in left hand).
  • Don't hold the frame too tightly. You are less likely to torque when you have a weaker hold on the frame.
  • Don't flip the frame when shooting.
  • Check your follow-through. Try exaggerating a solid follow-through until you hear the ball hit the target or backstop. Possibly you are moving your frame hand into the shot just after release.
  • Maybe you are tweaking the pouch a bit to create that little speed bump. Twist is okay... but tweak is not okay.
Cant 004b.jpg Cant 005b.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
  • Check the fork gap to ensure you are not rotating the frame - torquing (see pics). I use my left eye to check this while at anchor (I hold frame in left hand).
  • Don't hold the frame too tightly. You are less likely to torque when you have a weaker hold on the frame.
  • Check your follow-through. Try exaggerating a solid follow-through until you hear the ball hit the target or backstop. Possibly you are moving your frame hand into the shot just after release.
  • Maybe you are tweaking the pouch a bit to create that little speed bump. Twist is okay... but tweak is not okay.
View attachment 350777 View attachment 350778
Thank you Very much for your advice, I Will try this out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 350777 View attachment 350778
Dear friend, I have posted the images of my holding position, could you please let me know what am on doing wrong ? I had few shots today following the rules, but am not successful, got hit on the same spot on my hand and starts bleeding. Need to start my practise once the wound little heals.
Thanks in advance for your help brother.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Dear friend, I have posted the images of my holding position, could you please let me know what am on doing wrong ? I had few shots today following the rules, but am not successful, got hit on the same spot on my hand and starts bleeding. Need to start my practise once the wound little heals.
Thanks in advance for your help brother.
You don't twist the pouch so "speed bump" shouldn't be a problem as long as your wrist is straight. It looks fine in the pic. It does look like you might be canting the forks forward a bit. I'm guessing that you flip the forks forward during the shot which would expose your hand web to a ball hit. An image from straight behind would help. A video of your frame hand during the shot would also help.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Darn, sorry about the injury! Northerner mentioned what I was going to say about the frame canting/tilting forward. Due to this you may be putting your hand and frame in the path of the ammo by canting and likely adding a small flip of the forks. Try to eliminate this factor by keeping your wrist a little bit straighter and make sure that you are pinching on top of the ammo rather than in front of the ammo.
What is your band and ammo setup? If its too heavy it may be a factor to consider whilst beginning to develop your technique. Hope the hand heals up fast!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darn, sorry about the injury! Northerner mentioned what I was going to say about the frame canting/tilting forward. Due to this you may be putting your hand and frame in the path of the ammo by canting and likely adding a small flip of the forks. Try to eliminate this factor by keeping your wrist a little bit straighter and make sure that you are pinching on top of the ammo rather than in front of the ammo.
What is your band and ammo setup? If its too heavy it may be a factor to consider whilst beginning to develop your technique. Hope the hand heals up fast!
Thanks for your comments brother.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't twist the pouch so "speed bump" shouldn't be a problem as long as your wrist is straight. It looks fine in the pic. It does look like you might be canting the forks forward a bit. I'm guessing that you flip the forks forward during the shot which would expose your hand web to a ball hit. An image from straight behind would help. A video of your frame hand during the shot would also help.
Thanks for your comments brother.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, what they said. Might be the camera angle, but pressing the tips forward on TTF is not good. You have to keep the frame absolutely parallel to the target.

While you are waiting on your hand to heal, why not try some OTT shooting and see how you like it? Best part of the Slingshot hobby is that there is a lot of variety in technique. There is none better or worse, just different. OTT will lead it's way into other open doors such as Pickle Forks and add spice to your experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts