Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting fork hits on the right tip of the fork when I aim down. I hold the sling on the right hand and draw with the left. (And I'm right handed) I never get fork hits when I'm aiming horizontal or up. This is so strange. I got dents in my new slingshot which I had to sand down. (Sorry Perry
) I'm not sure what's going on here. Why just low shots? Every other shot was a fork hit yesterday until I had to just quit.

Anybody can help? I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You may be slightly angling the forks so they are no longer in line when you release.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
peresh said:
http://slingshotforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif[/img]

Anybody can help? I'd appreciate it.
Hey peresh,

Many "experts" have commented a lot about fork hits on this and other forums. Do a search and read everything they have to say and see if it helps.

Like I have said before on this forum, it can be more common with smaller width forks like my PS-1 for some people. Regardless of all the ideas, reasons and "fixes" in truth, the only thing that EVER solved this problem for me personally (for shooting narrow forks) was to learn to shoot with a little forward flip at the moment of release. I believe this mentally and physically lines up the arm, bands, frame and wrist motion to produce a better release.

Also, make sure the pouch is always even around the ammo, and release the pouch with a bit of a feeling like you are going to drop a small bit of trash on the ground. Now I know that this may not help with shooting if you hold the catty horizontal, but you can give it a try, as it may just save the day and a fork.
Hope these tips help. Don't give up it happens to most everybody sometimes.

Blessings,
Perry

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Dumb question but it has to be asked, do you brace your fingers against the prongs for support? I've ran across a lot of people that don't and unless you have a very strong wrist,the handle can turn on you due to torque and well-prong hit! Other then that, make sure your arm is fully extended. Sometimes when shooting downward you'll "bunch up" rather then shooting at regular extension. Flatband

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FOUND the problem!!!

Thank you all for advise. The problem is that I was not bracing it properly. The lack of support caused a torque..almost like a twist which is not recongnizablewhen shooting as it happens in a split of a second. I video taped myself and saw that indeed there is torque in slow motion. I need to hold the forks tight enough and shoot.

Also I reliazed I'm missing targets due to this torque issue. It's so dynamic ! Pull, angle, torque, aim, bands, pouch, position of sling and 3000 other factors!

Dumb question but it has to be asked, do you brace your fingers against the prongs for support? I've ran across a lot of people that don't and unless you have a very strong wrist,the handle can turn on you due to torque and well-prong hit! Other then that, make sure your arm is fully extended. Sometimes when shooting downward you'll "bunch up" rather then shooting at regular extension. Flatband

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.