Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the natural crowd, when you're letting your fork dry out do you keep on the bark or do you shave it first? I've done both with varying degrees of success on both sides.

Moderators if this is in the wrong section please move me to the correct one

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
A like to skin them soon as it does come off easier and just make them extra long when drying out ????

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,461 Posts
I leave the bark on but always cut forks and handle extra long to allow for cracking.....especially like a longer handle as that gives me a lot of area to grip as I'm skinning towards the forks.

If it's one I want to work immediately, I'll cut forks and handle just a bit long, and use a microwave to speed dry it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm makes kinda wanna do an experiment in the spring time. Grab some hard wood forks and some softer wood forks, seal off all the ends with wood glue or polyurethane. Then I'll shave the bark off some and leave the bark on others and see the drying/cracking ratios at the end.

Those that make it could be some great slingshots, those that don't well they get thrown into my tinder box.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Leave the bark on. I make my limbs extra long so any cracking or splitting is far away from what I want to keep. Other times wood glue and cover ends.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts