Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ok guys, been messing around with frameless. Using 117Bs, pouch on one end, and a strip of soft leather on the other.
This allows me to draw back even with my shoulder. (semi BF?)
Shooting gangster holding pouch so the bands line up vertically.
One of the problems I'm trying to solve is the height of the pouch hand. Tried just brushing the bands on my cheek. But it seems inaccurate.
Not like a fixed anchor like say corner of mouth. Also getting slapped on the cheek as the pouch goes by. Tried .17 bbs, but they seem kinda puny so moved up to .25 ammo.
Any advice as to my method would be greatly appreciated. Especially on a consistent way to find pouch elevation.
I suppose PF shooters with a long draw have the same problem.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
When we were kids we shot frameless exclusively. But if I remember well, we would stretch both hands almost equally apart, but rather low so that he bands did not go higher then the chest, which means no true aiming but you look at the target. Then we would release the pouch with a sudden swing, sometimes with the whole body, which includes large flip with the hand holding the front part of the rubber. This means that I have no experience with anchor points in this case and why not you try that also, who knows, maybe you like it?

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I am following this one.. I cannot offer anything.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J5 and Chef where are you??
Struggling with the pouch hand elevation. Managed to hit my cheek,my thumb and twice on my pointer. Didn't hurt to much,using 177B office bands stretch nearly max. which puts the pouch about shoulder back.
First big puzzle, is pouch floating anchor elev.
second thing is... I've managed to turn my shooting hand to my left (ala Joey 5),'till I can't see where the band comes over, but now have no point of reference for aiming.
I'm missing something here...besides the can.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If the bands are slapping your cheek you anchoring too tight against your cheek. You should sense the bands more than actually feel them touch the cheek. When I am trying new bands I touch the cheek with good pressure then move the bands away. After the first shot I can still feel where the bands were on my cheek and adjust up or down depending if the shot went high or low. I hope this makes sense.

·
Singing along with the voices in my head
442 Posts
Unfortunately, it's going to take some trial and error to fix your elevation. For me, I reference my knuckle of my shooting hand on target, and bands touch on my cheek bone with floating anchor. For reference below, aiming at the blue dryer ball on the dresser.

FIhVeLa.jpg

The reference on your shooting hand is more important than your bands on the cheek, as the elevation will change depending on distance to target, how wide you splay your finger/thumb on the shooting hand, etc. With some experimentation, you'll get a feel for it at different ranges.

Sounds silly but, in your mind you're not shooting frameless. Don't do anything differently in how you would shoot a PFS or other low fork OTT and you'll be fine :)

For the cheek slapping as the bands go by, like GG mentioned lightly touch to the cheek, and watch how much you're tweaking. You could be over-tweaking the pouch.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
A little bush right now will chime in fully tomorrow, one thing I can say quickly is I prefer tubes for serious frameless shooting it flat works equally well just more fiddly imo. If anyone has some tuning they'd like to trade for some of my hand rolled ammo please inbox me! Until tomorrow guys, CHEF OUT!

IMG_0618.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
When i shoot pfs or framless, its basicly the same. My ank.point is band to the top of my ear. and i tweek to get around it. i hav tried lower ank.points but it resulted in cheek slaps, and they hurt with 9mm steel 80m/s.

/Uba

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I have learned here in this post & I am intrigued...but not enough to try this again. I need the frames as an intermediary device with my limited range of motion...

But man, I love this topic.

You're all maniacs just the same.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I am no expert only 4 months into this frameless thing but from what u r saying is your on the right track I started with bb and got hitting the bottom of the can not bad I think J5 put in black and white for me it’s like mounting a scope to a rifle it will be close but u have to fine tune it that’s the part that’s on u and practice just sorting it all out .I moved up to bigger ammo and tubes now and some days r better than others I was messing round last night with some 6mm hex nuts and a heavy can man the power is awesome near punched the nut into can sideways the tubes 1745 about 30 feet away did have couple misses but that’s how I seem to roll .Port boy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
@Port Boy that's some serious juice on those last two photos gotta love frameless plus hex nuts, really drops the hammer. I'm running 2040 with a Dankung pouch and some 5/8" glass. Nothing wild but a very smooth draw and accurate as all get out - just ask the two sparrows I ran into on my morning stroll. ;)

Let the rubber hit the road lads ????????

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Chef your a wild man :) I did not have to much tube on hand only 1632 1842 1745 but I ordered up a couple more sizes just to get my feet a little wetter lol I need to get some 8mm steel in bulk my ammo supply is pretty random no consistency man I have a fear shooting them 16 mm marbles.Have u tryed shooting like C5 does over the middle finger I still have not gave that a go

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Oh, the good ole days when Pickle Fork Shooters were the avant garde of lunacy.

I have some 2040 tubes I can include in the "care packets" for Port Boy, BpChef, and MLI. should go out Saturday or Monday. Depending on my Friday schedule...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

I have some 2040 tubes I can include in the "care packets" for Port Boy, BpChef, and MLI. should go out Saturday or Monday. Depending on my Friday schedule...
thanks Makopat PB loves care packets i like some 2040 if u could but only need 16 inches thats one the sizes i got on order but being in canada takes 40 days and nights and a month of sundays to get to me ! cheers m8 :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to check into the whole tube thing. Don't have any, never tried them. Seems like they would want to roll around on ones finger. Right now ,I'm shooting 177B rubber bands. Fine to learn with but I have ssBlack and TBG... In your experience, what would you guys recommend as far as taper with a 41" draw? The working length of my 177Bs is right around 30cm between the two pouches.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Chef your a wild man :) I did not have to much tube on hand only 1632 1842 1745 but I ordered up a couple more sizes just to get my feet a little wetter lol I need to get some 8mm steel in bulk my ammo supply is pretty random no consistency man I have a fear shooting them 16 mm marbles.Have u tryed shooting like C5 does over the middle finger I still have not gave that a go
Thanks man I try lol. Seriously though you're going to love 2040, & I hear you about that crap with 8mm steel. Yea ive tried coverts method and it worked okay but I couldn't get much consistentcy. Honestly I shoot marbles frameless more than most anything else but I like steel too. Anyone who's hunted frameless full butterfly as I do will tell you it feels surreal when the shot connects - much more so than with a frame.

Ouuuh that would be very cool Pat! Also I have something to admit that may annoy some folks here: I was shooting full butterfly frameless for a long time before I picked up FB-PFS. I know that's hella backward but here's where it gets super weird: I can shoot mentos 5/5 from 10m frameless - I'm hunting accurate with my PFS, but I'm no surgeon. I've found true accuracy comes kn two flavours: raw practice coupled with simple kit and mindset I.e. Frameless Or, full kit with all available goodies I.e A S.E.R.E. with a light, lanyard, tapered bands with a pouch sized to your ammo & fibre optic reference bead. Either one achieves surgical hits with the proper applied technique, even if they generally suit vastly different tastes in shooters.

Frankly I feel like you can't truly say you're addicted to slingshots until you're willing to rosk your very body for your craft. Call me crazy - I like to think the Samurai would have approved of my mindset.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts