Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Forks look good, nicely done with all hand tools.

As for Bands...they look long and the fold is reverse to what I tie. Most go a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio of active band length to draw length. So if your draw is 30" long, your bands would be 6 to 7.5" in length from fork tips to pouch ties. At 81, you may prefer a lighter draw, so the 4:1 ratio (30" / 4 = 7.5') may be your better option. As for matching bands to ammo, I'm terrible at it as I shoot the same ammo and bands all the time, so am no help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks
but watch the dust while working it. Pacific Yew is toxic.
Forks look good, nicely done with all hand tools.

As for Bands...they look long and the fold is reverse to what I tie. Most go a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio of active band length to draw length. So if your draw is 30" long, your bands would be 6 to 7.5" in length from fork tips to pouch ties. At 81, you may prefer a lighter draw, so the 4:1 ratio (30" / 4 = 7.5') may be your better option. As for matching bands to ammo, I'm terrible at it as I shoot the same ammo and bands all the time, so am no help.
Is the fold ok now?
My draw length is 26"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Thanks
but watch the dust while working it. Pacific Yew is toxic.

Is the fold ok now?
My draw length is 26"
Not how I'd shoot them, but maybe I'm weird.

When I pull the bands over the fork tips to shoot, I prefer the diagonal fold or "v" to be facing upward. Both yours are reverse as to how I would tie them.

Wood Jewellery Eyewear Recreation Personal protective equipment
Wood Natural material Twig Scaled reptile Trunk

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,019 Posts
I am a new slingshot enthusiast. My name is Fred and l love to make natural slingshot forks. Here are 2 of the latest forks l have made from the California (Pacific Yew) hedge growing in my house in southern PA.
I would appreciate any suggestions of bands length and ammo weight. View attachment 368616
Beautiful grain on those and welcome to the forum............hard to tell as your hand isn't in the pic, but forks " might " be just a tad tall ? Still, great job though.

* the longer the forks, the more torque / strain you'll put on your wrist *

1 - 20 of 25 Posts