Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Joseph, I love shooting this thing. But I would advise to have hard thumb nail protection. I use because of convienence the end or the spout of a 16 ounce Ozarka water bottle and I have it cut to a slight curve to follow the thumbnail and I also take off the excess raised edge that is the lip of the bottle so the whole thing lays flat on the thumb nail. No raised edge to interfere with the band. It is the 1745 tube that really works I have tried flats but save some grief and stick with the tubes. If you want I can go into some detail of how to hold and shoot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
how to you shoot that without hitting yoourself?
i really want to know
because i made something similar a while ago
but i abandoned it because i couldnt avoid hitting my thumb

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
First use aluminum foil that you can roll up into the size of 3/8 balls till you get the hang of it then move up to heavier ammo. You must use Tubes. I use the 1745 Tubes. The flat bands do work but they are more tricky and they have a habbit getting tangled. You want to have the tube looped around at least a leather boot lace I use 1/2 inch wide flat leather with an overall length of 10 inches and fold it in half and secure the end and then the tubing runs through the folded end so it has something to pull against rather than pinching to hold onto the tube. You do not need a long pouch I use a 2-1/4 inch long pouch and its 7/8 inch wide, this is suited for up to 5/8 marbles. Pass the tube through folded end of strap and secure tube ends to pouch. I have found that if I tie a cotton string to hold both of the tubes together two inches below the pouch ends that this lends to greater stability to the pouch and bands as it travels towards release but dont do this on a ordinary slingshot it wont work. It is important to have something to protect your thumb nail either a bass guitart thumb pick or what works for me is the cutting the screw top part off of a 16 ounce Ozarka water bottle and trim flat the edge stop ring so that nothing is elevated and the bands have a more even transition. I pressed down a bit on the thumb protector so that is was more oval shaped to better conform to the shape of my thumb. Even with this precaution I have not hit my thumb. So you can shoot very effectivly with this. You must hold the strap part being looped around the little finger and route the rest straight up so that the thumb and forefinger are pinching immediately below the tube and do this so closely that you are almost pinching the tube. Start out level so that the pouch part is pulled to the middle of your face up to your nose and DONT hold so that you are giving a thumbs up or you will bang your tumb everytime. Hold by pointing away with your thumb. In shooting position you should be pointing with your thumb. The pouch and the band will clear your hand and your thumb everytime if you follow this.Thumb pointed at an object pull only to your nose straight and level and let go. It will work for you. And use aluminum foil for shot till you get this thing down..And you can use any effective length of band mine secured and looped is 8 inches but i am going to make a 4 inch today just for fun. Let me know how this turns out.

One Key factor for a shooter like this to work, you must give the pouch a quarter turn before releasing the pouch. I turn mine inward or toward me a quarter turn. I think this is what makes it work.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
I cannot wait to receive mine! I have a 188cm wingspan so I'm expecting to get some scary speeds out of my 3/8" and 1/2" ball bearings!

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot wait to receive mine! I have a 188cm wingspan so I'm expecting to get some scary speeds out of my 3/8" and 1/2" ball bearings!
Hey Sam just use some caution till you adjust to the small PFS I would say to wait a couple of weeks before going into a full on spread. Just to insure good form. Thats all.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the Key points I failed to mention[sub] [/sub]thats makes a shooter like this work is you must give the pouch a quarter turn before releasing. I turn mine inward. I think this is what makes it work, at least for me. Also you may want to try shooting before adding the additional string on the tubing.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Don't worry guys, I'm going to extend my draw length progressively, using light ammunition and of course wearing gloves and safety glasses!

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no clue what A and E is.

I am not the first to shoot from the hand like this. Torsten has a video segment where he is demonstrating his uncanny ability to shoot with only a set of bands and pouch well he also sported a thick leather glove.

Aslo saw another video of a Chinese who was shooting like that but the distance was much farther than Torsten. He had it down so good he did not need a glove.

After seeing these two fellows I could not let it go so I had to try it too. Before I was hitting anything with any consistancy I more than likely spent 30 hours or more shooting with this type of shooter. It was a while before I was doing a Butterly Stylle and it is risky.

It is not for everyone and perhaps I should not have posted pictures or even the idea of it. Second thougts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.