Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the conclusion of the 2010 ECST, Jim Harris and I were discussing how much we enjoy and value the event. That conversation led us to the question of "how can we give back and support" the event? Well, we both love slingshots and competition and we both are craftsmen. The answer seemed obvious, so here is what we came up with...

We decided to collaborate on a building a slingshot together in order to auction it off and donate 100% of the proceeds to the 2012 East Coast Slingshot Tournament. Although the tournament is put on by lots of volunteer time and energy, it still takes some capital above and beyond the entry fees to make sure the event runs smooth.

So, back in the summer, Jim and I contacted Patty to make sure that this would be acceptable and she gave us her blessings. Jim and I got right to work. We decided to make a FlippinOut Slingshots design using the Performance Catapults proprietary construction method.

I began by having a friend of mine who owns a waterjet, cut out an "Axiom" blank from 6061 Aluminum. I sent this blank to Jim and he began the laminating work. We decided that the woods and materials used in this frame needed to be extra special! So, Jim began by laminating black G10 to the aluminum core. The next layer was Osage Orange, but not just any Osage. This Osage came from the late Jay Schott himself(the founder and driver behind the ECST experience)! Jay gave Jim and I each a board of Osage at last years shoot and we felt it was not only appropriate to use that very wood, but it also looks like a million bucks! Finally, we decided to use Cocobolo on the outside lamination, as very few woods speak "class" like Cocobolo.

At this point, Jim sent the frame back to me and I began the shaping. Once I got it, I added the palmswells which are made from Ebony with a Sapele Mahogany Spacer. I worked out the final shape and began the polishing process. I then once again mailed it back to Jim and he did all the engraving on the frame. Jim once again sent it back to me for the final, final polishing and finishing. The frame has been finished in over 10 coats of my FlippinOut proprietary oil/wax finish to bring out the depth of beauty in the wood, each coat hand rubbed and polished. The wood now feels like butter and the laminations flow into one another seamlessly.

You will notice that this frame is labeled "1 of 1". As this is the only slingshot in the world built like this by the craftsmen behind FlippinOut Slingshots and Performance Catapults. Although we may collaborate more in the future, we will never again recreate this combination of materials and design. We really want this slingshot to have meaning!

Enough about the story of how it was made....

Here is what we are doing-

This slingshot is being auctioned off on Ebay to the highest bidder. The auction ends on November 6, 2011 and the bidding starts at $150 USD. You can find it here

Upon completion of the auction, 100% of the proceeds will be donated to support the upcoming 2012 East Coast Slingshot Tournament. So, please bid with confidence knowing that your purchase goes to support the largest and most popular slingshot event in the world today! Now, you might be thinking "if it is the largest and most popular why does it need funding?"

Well, "largest and most popular" is a very relative phrase and we expect a much, much larger turnout for the event in 2012. As such, we want to make sure that the funds are in place to allow for the best experience possible to all who attend. The event is driven by many volunteer hours and kind support but it still take capital to pull it off.

So, bid high and bid often. We want to see this event be THE premier slingshot event worldwide and with your support we can do it!

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Great work by both of you!
You're a credit to the sport and this is a wonderful jesture to Patty and the ECST.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
That is a great piece of work and a great way to raise money!, Unfortunately it will take enough of my money just to get down there to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
It was a real treat to collaborate with Nathan in building this frame.

You can be certain, that your generosity will greatly benefit, a special event. The ECST, has been " My cup of tea" since it's inception. Even though slingshots are relatively in-expensive, having a tournament involves a lot of work, and more than six weeks salary. Patty and the crew work a lot of hours, and I am truly grateful.

This was a no-brainer for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Really great concept guys and an awesome finish to the project. Two top shelf craftsman (and great guys too) donating their time and skills to benefit the ECST. Don't get better then that. Oh Yeah BTW-WHAT A GOOD LOOKING SLINGSHOT!!!!!!!! Can you say Credit Union Loan Gary? WOW!
Flatband

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is great! I can't believe how fast the auction price has risen. I think that $500 is possible and that would be great for ECST and our sport!

Thanks for everyone's support!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
watch out for zero feedback bidder lol, this guy either really wanna support ECST and made a new account or he's gonna bail out the deal just to mess with us
he's got nothing to lose

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a few hours left!

This slingshot is already a collectors piece and will be worth twice its current auction price in no time. If you love slingshots and want to see the sport grow, here is a good place to get started.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts