Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried out sling bows.? They would seem to be easy to make (requiring only a broom handle, leather cup, string and optionally a bead). I hear they are very easy to learn and are fun to use, capable of flinging a tennis ball (or snowball) hundreds of feet.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nearly 2 years and no answer?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Keep meaning to, haven't been able to sling worth a darn since I trashed my shoulder.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I guess you could test this by using a lacross stick. Or better yet a Jai alai launcher. The latter one will fire a baseball at 300fps.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LoL, Jai alai brings memories of stag nights past.

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
This reminds me of a time when i was helping my Dad work cattle. I carried a fiberglass staff for prodding and directing the cattle. I stabbed it through hedge apples that had fallen and could fling the heavy apples long distances. I remember how fun it was. The staff was 5' long and the apples had been down long enough to have softened up a bit. They were just right, holding onto the staff when punctured but releasing well when flipped. This could be a fun game at fall festivals.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aaron, you are spot on. The staff sling is a derivation of the shepherd's sling and the trebuchet is a scaled-up mechanised staff sling.

In fact the use of the trebuchet and staff sling was similar. The trebuchet was too heavy for anything but a siege weapon, and being more practical the staff sling was used in siege warfare but also in naval and infantry warfare.

The great advantage of the staff sling was in stand-off capability. Throwing from elevated ramparts, slingers could fire volleys to keep the invaders back or to harass the enemy. Stones and clay projectiles are far cheaper than arrows. The staff sling could also throw incendiaries containing accelerant or black powder.

Of course, that's in a historical context; I wouldn't recommend using them as a weapon, much less with explosives as you'll likely end up shot or blown up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Working on the same principal, we have those arm-extender things for chucking tennis balls for the dog.
It occured to me it works in exactly the same way as an atalatl / woomera / spear thrower does for darts / spears and as a fustibal does for rocks....
I got one for 99p from the local discount store... as soon as I find some suitable rocks, I'll test it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
dear zdp-189 i have made a staff sling and although they go far a slingshot or standard sling are more fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts