Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising into deep space seeking out board cuts,tube shooters,bean flippers,tree forks,commercial models etc.,the newly commissioned Starship "Flatband" is seen here on patrol. Sporting extra long forearm stabilizers and 3/8" diameter rounded nacelles.she is powered by 1 1/4" x 7/8" x 8" folded tapered Latex with formed pouch. Her torpedoes are 1/2" steel balls. She is ready for battle! This little paragraph is the result of too many "Star Trek" episodes and also too many hours thinking and making slingshots!
Seriously ,this frame was an idea I had for a new Tournament shooter for myself. It draws 38"s has a 3 3/8" throat opening and has a little platform in front for a possible future sighting system of some kind. I shot it this morning-extremely smooth ( wide throat helps that) but it shot low-very fast but low. A few adjustments and I should have her dead at 10 meters. Space the final frontier.These are the voyages.......... Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
That is really nice Gary!!!! Wow!!!
I've been thinking about making another lately myself. I use to have some long ago.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Wow I bet that baby does warp 9....

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys.
the bed is made from Curly Maple (what else),the handle is birch. I tied the bands on a little different too. I loaded them on the inside of the rod (inside the throat). I think that also helps with the smoothness of the shot besides the wide throat opening. Can't wait to really try her this weekend in NY at the Long Island Shootout. Flatband

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aye Scotty,it be to the cheek laddie. I'm givin ya all I got Captain,she canno take na more-Jeez, I really know now that i'm losing it. I knew you were a Trek fan and wondered if you'd chime in here Scott! Was a great show and it's funny that a lot of the very futuristic devices they showcased on that program are "Materializing" nowadays-"Live long and prosper" Flatband

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Very nice, but why not make the tips point forward to make even more streamlined and tying the bands on easier. It would also make it easier to bend the rod. Like the Marksman on top in the view here. -- Tex

Attachments

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Hehehehe LOL!!!! "Boldly going where no man has gone before...." Ok Ok so maybe that's not so, but I had to get in on this nerdfest!!!! I'm a Trekkie too!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's the old "McGyver tape" for the arm rest. I had some leather but it didn't rig up right so for now ,it's the tape. I have tried bands rigged that way Tex but I like them better this way-tougher to tie on but for me better. You know what the toughest part of making one of these is?-the handle! Always a challenge! This one has a slight thumb rest and a Palm Swell. Love shooting this thing! Flatband

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.