Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot a lot of darts, Snipersling are the best by a mile but I also made my own copies of Snipersling and a couple of other designs.
Safety is a problem with darts. I luckily never had a RTS or heaven forbid a hand strike, but I changed from the leather and metal plate gloves, through the Kevlar gloves and I tried the Snipersling Dragonscale glove (which is worth buying as an object of desire, whether you shoot darts or not) - but I was never really happy.
I recently had an incident which has made me re-asses my attitude to personal safety and hence I concluded that I could no longer shoot darts - sending something pointy and fast between your finger and thumb now seems insanely dangerous to me.
But, damn if they weren't fun - I needed to recapture that. I shoot a 50lb recurve bow and I'd always eschewed the idea of shooting arrows from my slingshot, but getting out of darts gave me the impetus to look again.

My slingshot is a converted Leatherman Rebar, which has several advantages - it's fork width is adjustable so I can alter my impact point without altering my anchor, it is also very strong so it can take heavy bands and I'd previously made a wrist brace for it to help me out with those heavy bands.

How to convert the frame for arrows? I had some help. Herr Sprave has a video where he shows a heavy hitting slingbow he made that utilises a whisker biscuit arrow rest placed behind the frame because the bands want to follow the arrow and would smash the whisker biscuit if it was at the front. So I knew I couldn't just 3D print an arrow rest because it wouldn't survive. Creek Stewart's excellent little pocket field guide shows a simple arrow rest made from a piece of thick leather, which of course is flexible.
For heavy bands I'd previously designed and printed out plastic grips which gave a more comfortable hold
Form all of this I had the idea to modify the lower comfort grip to have a block with two holes (which I threaded to M5), to which I could attach an arrow rest cut from 4mm cow hide. The leather is strong enough to support the arrow, but flexible enough to not get damaged by the bands flying at it and it should last a long time . It's easy to replace and I made a cardboard template so I can cut more whenever I need them.

what about the bands? I only use Theraband Gold, I thought I wanted some decent pull so I cut 50-40 x 180mm bands. The knock is a short length of paracord melted and flared at the ends and the D loop is a section of 2mm nylon "silky string", knotted over, cut and melted to seal the knots. The arrow knocks very positively between the D loop knots. The bands pull out at 30lbs at 30".
I've ordered an archery release aid to use with the D loop, the bands are too heavy to pull fully without one.

How does it shoot? Fantastically well I'm happy to say!
I'm using one of my Recurve arrows which at 600gn are too heavy for this rig, but enable me to get up and running.
I've ordered some of the Pocket Shot 3 piece takedown arrows, they don't state the weight but I'm hoping they'll be more at the 400gn point which would be about perfect.
When the arrows and the release aid arrive I'll chrono everything and report back.

Safety wise it should be completely safe (for me), the pointy bit of the arrow starts in front of my hand and just gets further away when the shot is loosed.

Tripod Road surface Grey Floor Asphalt

Sleeve Dress Thigh Waist Elbow

Everyday carry Bumper Eyewear Wood Musical instrument accessory

Aircraft Automotive tire Airplane Monoplane Toy airplane

Finger Wood Tool Thumb Elbow

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not going to be a big hitter. That recurve returns around 34ftlbs for a 30" draw at 50lbs, these bands are a lower draw and the first 7" of draw is wasted due to the static band length. If I can get close to 20ftlbs I'll be happy. Fitted with broadheads the arrows will still have an effect!

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fletchings seem to be tough in my experience. If you look at the average arrow rest on a bow it's just a piece of plastic or metal, or on a bare bow it's the back of the holding hand. The fletchings just ride up and over the arrow rest.
The trick is to rotate the knock on the arrows so that the fletchings hit the arrow rest at the best angle. In the case of the PFS and my setup you want the fletchings arranged like the imperial shuttle's wings in Star Wars - one sticking straight up and the other down and left and down and right. That way the tail of the arrow lifts the minimum amount.

· Registered
1,862 Posts
guys I made the arrows from wooden dowels the arrow heads are from old handsaw blades and the Fletchings are made from duct tape they are still perfect and if anything did happen to them 2 seconds replaces them 🎯🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👊👍 and spewing no I don't flick it bud 👍🎯🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Attachments

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neat!
I'm hoping the Pocketshot arrows are not too heavy because they'll fit in my mooching bag (yes I know you can't shoot anything in the UK with arrows).
I can buy wooden arrows with steel tips locally for £1.45 in batches of 10, so I'll probably get some of those for kicking about in the garden.
Also I've ordered some takedown arrow adaptors which should enable me to convert any standard hollow shaft arrow into a takedown arrow.

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, some shooting results.
I was way optimistic with my power estimates.
I bought some wooden arrows and ran them over the chrono.
131 FPS with a 303gn arrow which is 11.6ftlbs.
So this speaks to the inherent inefficiency of slingbows compared to an actual bow - or maybe it tells us how efficient bows are after thousands of years of development!

Anyway - it matters not, I haven't had as much fun shooting a Slingshot ever!
I'm out there wearing a quiver with 12 arrows, I've got my trigger release aid strapped around my wrist, I'm wearing my amber shooting glasses and I'm looking cool.
11.6 is 4 more ftlbs than I was getting with darts and it's far easier to be accurate with the arrows because I'm not straining to grip the tiny end of the dart.
I'll keep going, I could easily pull another 15-20lbs of bands so I'll try some 60-50mm tapers, but I'm not a hunter and this is just for fun so I don't want to spoil it by making the bands too heavy. Also these wooden arrows are only 26" so that limits the draw length, so I'll try some 30" or 31" arrows and see what happens.
The takedown arrows haven't come yet but I'll post here when they do.

If you're on the fence about slingbows I encourage you to give one a go - it's brilliant fun!
Wood Branch Grass Garden tool Thigh

Musical instrument Office supplies Brush Electric blue Writing implement

· Super Moderator
2,890 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Pocketshot arrows have arrived.
They are 400gn with the supplied (round nose) field points and they run at 138fps for 15.3 ftlbs of muzzle energy.
I'm happy enough with that, the extra energy is almost certainly from the extra 3" of draw and the extra 100gn of weight compared to the wooden arrows. I can always go for heavier bands, but for now I'll just have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts