Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of making a slingshot, but I'm debating on how to work with it. I already found a good wood, cut off the excess branches (my friend did it actually, due to owning a little motor saw machine (I don't know what's it called, let alone how to use it)), but now is the question of where to go from here?

From what I measured, it's 12 1/2 in. tall, 7 in. for the base hight, 7 3/8 in. for left fork, 7 1/2 in for right fork, and 9 in from fork tip to fork tip. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Yeah, we have a thing for build-along pics.

Also the decision making part is tough on all of us. Good news...you can make more and even change it later.

Treeman's advice is solid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, thanks for the suggestion Treeman. However, I want to wait and get more suggestions first. I don't want to mess up this fork, especially on cutting it until I 100% confident it'll work out perfectly. As my dad says it best: once you cut something, you can't add it back.
MakoPet; I have to say, that was my original idea for a post. I wanted to show off my new catty and how it got there, but I had a little trouble on what to do without ruining the fork, hence the advice post. I will be more then happy to show the process!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Id cut it down to about a four inch gap between forks, put some bands on it and let the pebbles fly. It's already a nice natural fork. Btw- we all love build along pics. Keep us posted.
I agree. The forks look like they about the same diameter, its a nice Y shape, you've got a pretty nice fork as it is. Cut the forks, cut the handle to fit your hand and smooth the place where you cut the small limbs off.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I'd second what Treeman said. I wouldn't worry too much about it not being 100% what you want, it will give you a standard to go forward. You can always find more forks.

I'd also add, hold it in the style you shoot and point it at something vertical (or horizontal if you hold the fork straight up and down) , that will give you an idea of how to cut the forks.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Maybe we can make a video or build-along of this. I have a dogwood cut on Easter this year...very similar (but not as nice as this Y tree fork).

When I get a minute I will try it. And share it here and the senior members can critique it...bam! Uncle Bob 's here and we make a slingshot.

Reactions: SJAaz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts