Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think there's any point having a general off topic if every time someone disagrees with the topic it's locked. I could see if people are being abusive to each other or saying racist or demeaning things. But just because you don't like the conversation seems one sided and wrong. What's your opinion ?

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was being serious I'm not just saying any particular post it's just on observation in general. I've seen it on more than one topic. Some are allowed to continue untill it's beat to death many times over and some just cut off depending on who's Victoria secrects it gets in a bunch.

·
Banned
10,020 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more; I've had more of my posts deleted than I even know about. I know your frustration with it too, but there's nothing that's going to change it. They'll say "keep it about slingshots". If it's in "off topic" they'll say "take it to another forum", & if there's any discourse, they'll say "take it to PM". All of which is understandable, but still aggravating if your the one being censored. Remember thistle? I do, & I STILL feel horrible about that. But you were there too, just on the other side of the fence, & from your point of view all this didn't seem so bad at the time. I try not to get too involved anymore (although that whole hunting badge thing had me a bit perturbed), say briefly what I'm thinking, then not even crack the thread again. It helps to self edit too; say what you really feel, leave it up for a few minutes, then redact it. Really, it all boils down to where the mod's feelings land on a topic. They're just "doing their jobs"...try to find the humour in it.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya it's sad that were at a point in society that you can't dislike anyone because you don't like their personality or attitude it's always got to be your either racist, sexist , homophobic or some other label. Your not even allowed to disagree anymore or your called some name.Theres a lot of people I don't agree with and dislike and has nothing to do with their race, color, sex, or religion. Their just A -holes period.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Topics get locked when people get personal and attack others. That is the only reason I ever lock a topic.
Missed the personal attack in this one.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28677-wait-one-second-here/

Or this one

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28561-from-a-quack-to-the-duck-commander/

Yet I see an attack against the people of an entire region of the US in this one and it is the only one not locked. HMMM

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28617-duck-commander/

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Topics get locked when people get personal and attack others. That is the only reason I ever lock a topic.
Missed the personal attack in this one.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28677-wait-one-second-here/

Or this one

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28561-from-a-quack-to-the-duck-commander/

Yet I see an attack against the people of an entire region of the US in this one and it is the only one not locked. HMMM

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/28617-duck-commander/
The attacks are there, most of them have been hidden. Yes, I may have missed an attack or two. I don't spend 24 hours a day 7 days a week reading posts. Life interferes sometimes. Have you reported the attack? If you can't make the effort to inform the moderators of attacks, then don't complain about them. None of us read every post.

Lastly, just how many "Duck Dynasty" topics does this Board need?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The attacks are there, most of them have been hidden. Yes, I may have missed an attack or two. I don't spend 24 hours a day 7 days a week reading posts. Life interferes sometimes. Have you reported the attack? If you can't make the effort to inform the moderators of attacks, then don't complain about them. None of us read every post.

Lastly, just how many "Duck Dynasty" topics does this Board need?
No I didn't report it, I have never reported a post and never will. I am not complaining about the post, I am complaining about selective censorship, sorry, I thought I made that clear. I could care less if you ever locked a topic.

·
Banned
10,020 Posts
I've never watched so much as a single episode, nor do I really care about their plight outside of the fact that the guy didn't even say anything directly derogatory, & now he's made out to be some kind of hate-spewing monster. I whole-heartily believe that religion should be kept out of politics, but I also feel the same way about bedroom behaviours. Neither should be regulated under the law, & the law shouldn't be able to be used against those voicing opposition -or even dislike- against whatever is popular or socially acceptable at any point in time. It does seem, that one "side" tends to view their intolerance & self-righteousness as open-minded & progressive, while labeling the same traits in the "other" side with tags meant to stain their character & undermine the values of their stances. As a man born in the fall of 1981, I didn't even begin to form political opinions until the early to mid 90's, having grown up amidst diversity of all kinds...& yet I can be cast off a "racist" on the colour of my skin, if my opinions on a topic or the humour that I see doesn't jibe with what the television says. Nothing could be farther from the truth, & this is usually where a person in my position would be bringing their black friends into the frey, but I'm not going to do that, cuz they be packin' yo...

And here is the perfect example of saying what I really feel, leaving it up for a few minutes, then taking it down. Very therapeutic; it's going to help with the intolerance of the one-sided censorship. At least we're "off topic"...

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
ive always been against thread locks, to me its censorship and i hate censorship. what ive noticed is that if things are allowed to run thier course, eventually the topic will die out, but when it gets locked, nothing gets resolved, it just keeps coming back because it was allowed to live and not die out. eventually people will just get tired of the subject.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
This is why threads get locked almost every time. You may not see the posts that got hidden, because we felt they were too inflammatory. One recent thread that got closed had no less than 6 posts hidden, from multiple people, due to what was said. Allowing people to flame eachother is not productive.

As for censorship, that is mentioned in the Site Rules:

• You deleted my post. Isn't that censorship? No. SlingshotForum.com allows and encourages posts in order to further the discussion, engage our members, and to let interested parties have a good time (and maybe learn something)! These are not open forums where you can say whatever you please (visit http://off-topic.net if you would like to), and posting on SlingshotForum.com is not a right of law passed down to you in the Constitution. The moderating staff does not delete posts without good reason, but deletions are always at the discretion of the moderators. There are thousands of active posters on this site, and we try to keep the forums a fun, engaging experience for all of its readers.

·
Banned
10,020 Posts
The discretion of (some of) the moderators is as much the issue here as anything. You'll have an instance where something posted couldn't be interpreted as a "flame" in the broadest sense, but will be erased (or locked) anyways, as the opinion is counter to that of the mod. On the other hand, you'll have BLATANT "flames", but the thread continues unimpeded due to the stance of the mod(s), examples provided by August.

The thread I believe you're referring to is an exception.

The part in the site rules snippet that mentions "...engaging experience for all of it's readers." has some caveats... That said, I've always enjoyed my time here, & none of this would be an issue if any of us didn't care.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts