Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a shape of a slingshot that I really like and I am thinking of getting it done in metal. I have it now in multiplex but I was thinking aluminium or steel?

How much lighter is aluminium compared to steel, on a regular size slingshot?
Will I notice a difference?
Prize and availability for purchasing a peace of nice small size?

I was thinking of trying to get it cut cheap "probono" is there then a better choice?

Oh and I figured, If I am getting it cut I will need a good trace of it. Preferably done on a computer. Does any one know a good program so that I can draw it and know that all measurements are correct.
I have drawn it by hand before, but somehow (I stink at drawing!!!!) it does not get accurate enough... So maybe a computer can help me with that=)

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
The old saying goes "Aluminium is 1/3 the weight of steel and 1/3 the tensile strength". Seeing as you should want some bulk to the slingshot, I'd use aluminium if making a large plate slingshot or steel if it's steel rod slingshot and you want some heft. These are just my preferences. Either material will be affordable, if you can find a right sized offcut to work from.

If you can use AutoCAD, that's best, but seeing as you're asking, you probably can't, so you may as well draft it in any way you can that leaves sharp clean lines because whoever's making it for you will have to digitise it.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
DeltaCad for drawing on a computer.
http://www.deltacad.com/

You can learn it in a couple of nights. It's dead on accurate. I have been using it for many years now, both in my job and at home. It's a great program to use. I highly recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
There are tons of free CAD programs out there. I'm using Qcad, which runs only in Linux, but do a Google search on "easy cad freeware" and there are many free CAD programs available. You don't need much to design slingshot patterns.

Henry

DeltaCad for drawing on a computer.
http://www.deltacad.com/

You can learn it in a couple of nights. It's dead on accurate. I have been using it for many years now, both in my job and at home. It's a great program to use. I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Can Google Sketchup output in, or be converted to Autocad?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='Henry in Panama' date='06 July 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1278436931' post='13409']
There are tons of free CAD programs out there. I'm using Qcad, which runs only in Linux, but do a Google search on "easy cad freeware" and there are many free CAD programs available. You don't need much to design slingshot patterns.

Henry

Sounds great I run Ubuntu so will give that a try!
Thanx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for the tip on emachineshop!
I am now playing with the design and will hopefully get it just right soon!

I was wondering if any one knew a good thicknes of aluminium and maby wich one to use... there where quite a few and I don't know what is god or bad? And allso wich machine/machines to use?
It needs to be cut out and get the sides round so it don't cut the rubber.

It does not need to be fancy (expencive) but good.
If this works and is not to expencive it looks to be a great way to get slings in metal cut out!

Thanx

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Here's one I worked with my Dremel tool (gotta love them!). It is 3/4" thick Aluminum-over the top-and a bit heavy and a little Ergo to her.(Hey,it wouldn't be me with out some Ergo in her!) I still prefer wood though. Fun project though. Flatband

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great job both of you! That's what I have in mind( my own design) of course!
Have been playing with the emachine software now and it does not seem to hard, but it will probably get to expensive...
A shame... It could have been a great way to get metal slings for us without tools...(knowlege)
well great job they both look nice! I realy lkie the chiny metal=) BlingBling

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Great job both of you! That's what I have in mind( my own design) of course!
Have been playing with the emachine software now and it does not seem to hard, but it will probably get to expensive...
A shame... It could have been a great way to get metal slings for us without tools...(knowlege)
well great job they both look nice! I realy lkie the chiny metal=) BlingBling
Yeah, they look expensive, but they are really designed for people doing prototypes, high value custom jobs, reproducing unavailable discontinued machine parts.

If you are considering making a slingshot that is hand cut from metal plate, you will need to learn to hand-draft accurately enough for someone to scribe the profile out on the plate. Either that, or get some Formica or a thin sheet of aluminium and make a template on that for someone to scribe around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts