Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I am constantly amazed at the generosity of so many of the folk on this forum. Yesterday I received a package in the mail from forum member Melvin ... note: this was an outright, unsolicited, voluntary gift, not part of any exchange. The parcel contained two compact slingshots, one banded and one not, but with an extra set of Alliance #107 bands and a pouch by Irfan. Here is a photo of the two slingshots, with one of my boo shooters in the middle for size comparison.

Melvin sent a note with some information, which I will share.

First the slingshot on top: The design is a scaled down version of a design by Ringburn, who seems to be inactive at present. The tubes are from Bill Herriman, and I must tell you that they have an easy draw and REALLY sling ammo down range ... they are fast. The formed pouch is from Flatband. It is an altogether delightful slingshot. It is about the same size as my boo shooters, but has a wider fork gap. If you have trouble with fork hits, you will appreciate that extra gap. The fork tips are drilled so that continuous tubes can just be inserted and brought back over the tip for a quick, no-tie attachment. I have not tried this frame with bands, but the fork tips are groved so than bands can be tied securely. The frame is made from what appears to be high quality, thin laminate Baltic birch plywood, faced with either Australian lacewood or leopardwood (Melvin wasn't sure.)

For the slingshot at the bottom: Melvin referred to this as a pfs, but I would just say it is a micro ... there is ample fork gap for ammo to pass, so in my lexicon it is not a pfs ... your useage may differ. I tried this little one with Alliance #107 flats, but did not like it. It just seemed a bit too small for much in the way of draw weight. So I banded it with some single strand 1745 Chinese tubes. These tubes were lighter in pull, but very zippy with 3/8 inch lead. With lighter bands, it is a fun little shooter. The frame is made from high quality, thin laminate plywood.

The finish on the two frames is just excellent (unlike my attempts!). And the attention to detail is very refreshing. You can see the compass on the micro. The lanyard holes in both frames are made with glued in brass tubing. Both frames exhibit a high degree of professional skill.

Thanks so much, Melvin. You are a craftsman and a gent!!!!

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Very nice Charles and Melvin thanks for promoting the sport. -- Tex

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
He's just a top shelf guy Charles. He just loves fooling around with different woods and then giving his creations away to a lucky recipient. Class!!!! Flatband

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Wow, that's such a nice gift to receive. Way to go Melvin! Enjoy shooting them Charles.

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
as a child or an adult, its always good to receive toys in the mail .

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
How did I miss this? Man those are nice. Flatband is right Melvin is a real classy guy. Super-talented, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts