Slingshots Forum banner

Gloves and shooting

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jcharmin92 
#1 ·
It has started to get cold over here and we normally get a few -30c days at worse in the depths of winter. I like to shoot daily and without gloves it won't be much fun, especially as my frame is solid steel. Anyone one here shoot with gloves?

#2 ·
It's getting cold here too, and the skin on my fingers starts to crack open if I don't wear gloves. So, the past two days, I rubbed Norwegian Formula hand cream on my fingers and put on fingerless wool gloves. They're a little slippery but worked ok for temps in the mid 40s Fahrenheit. Tonight, I shot after dark, and tried my full finger wool gloves with rubber gripping dots on them. I removed the glove from my drawing hand. Did fine again. In bitter cold temps, I mainly shoot in the basement. If I shoot outdoors in freezing cold, I keep the slingshot in an interior pocket to keep the bands warm. I take off a glove, just to load and shoot a few shots and put the glove back on.

Joe

#5 ·
Here in Colorado I use two different gloves. The slingshot holding hand uses a full fingered warm glove. The release hand uses a glove where I cut just the thumb and pointer finger off to the first knuckle. I like to use knitted one-size-fit-all stretchy gloves you can get cheap from any Walmart type store. They do a great job keeping your hand warm and surprisingly since you have just enough Skin showing to release the pouch, those two fingers don't get too cold either because they're always moving and working as long as you shoot quickly.
I lived in my van for one Denver winter and used the two-finger, first knuckle exposed gloves on both hands on those very cold days. I was able to cook, eat and pretty much do everything you would do while leaving my gloves on and keeping my hands warm except for the tips of two fingers. It works well but after an entire Denver winter I decided it was time to build a tiny house with a heater and insulation.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.