Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !
I just had a thought Did anyone tried to secure the bands at the pouch with a strong glue like crazy glue or something insted of tying with rubber or string?
If anyone has some strong glue at home should try it it would not take alot of effort just glue a piece of rubber together and pull it to see how does it hold.
I dont have glue sorry!!
Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
i´ve tryed it with a ****ing expensive special rubber glue, didn´t work. we stretch abt 5 times ore more, glue cant stretch this much.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I've bought some rubber vulcanising compound and I believe it could work if applied appropriately. I could be wrong, though.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Glue will always fail because of the constant stretching of the rubber. I haven't tried it because rubber stretches and super glue doesn't. Besides wrapping with rubber bands is so easy why risk a glue joint when you can have a flexible mechanical joint. No glue is ever intended to function as a structural joint.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Smitty, vulcanising compound is used for patching tires, so I presume it may be the exception.

·
2,153 Posts
Yeah it may be OK to use, but It just worries me a bit to trust it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glue will always fail because of the constant stretching of the rubber. I haven't tried it because rubber stretches and super glue doesn't. Besides wrapping with rubber bands is so easy why risk a glue joint when you can have a flexible mechanical joint. No glue is ever intended to function as a structural joint.
Does the rubber stretch under the tieing at the pouch? I do not think so.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was hoping for a few people to say at least it might work or give it a try ,but instead most of the people saying it doesnt work but they have not acctualy tried it lol.
I am not saying it works !!
Under the tie the rubber does not stratch (when you tie it good thought) We all know how fish ties his bands no way they can stratch underneath.
Conclusion if a glue is strong enough and applyed properly it would not strach alot or just very little. Most of the bands break soon anyway 200 around if strong with weaker bands for like butterfly there would be very little force there.
I just hate tieing rubbers thats why thought about this.
We should be open to new experiments.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
The technology is there for gluing bands, but the performance is not as far as my testing has shown. Glue has been used by Marksman by putting tubes on plastic clips. If you ever tried to take the tubes off of Marksman Clip Tips, you will find that there are glues that hold very well.
I did research and found glue that did. That is priority information done for a company. I have looped bands through pouches and glued them rather than tying them with success. It does not save time and if a strong enough glue is used the bands tend to tear at the edge of the glue if unsupported. I did not care for bands glued instead of being tied at the pouch even though it held.
Saunders bands have a little rubber cement between them at the pouch. The rubber cement that Saunders uses does not interfere with the rubber being stretched as it stretches with it and does not glue it solid.
Trumark could use a little glue in holding there plastic pouch attachments, but maybe they already do as I don't really know. -- Tex

·
2,153 Posts
Hello !
I just had a thought Did anyone tried to secure the bands at the pouch with a strong glue like crazy glue or something rubber or instead of tying with string?
If anyone has some strong glue at home should try it it would not take alot of effort just glue a piece of rubber together and pull it to see how does it hold.
I dont have glue sorry!!
Thanks
You did not say anything about applying the glue under a mechanical tie. You asked if one could use glue instead of tying with rubber or string.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Smitty, vulcanising compound is used for patching tires, so I presume it may be the exception.
There's a natural tar/glue made from birch bark, it dries hard, is rubber friendly and re-usable (within reason) I could try it, or you could look into it, I trust your excellent eye for detail.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello !
I just had a thought Did anyone tried to secure the bands at the pouch with a strong glue like crazy glue or something rubber or instead of tying with string?
I dont have glue sorry!!
Thanks
You did not say anything about applying the glue under a mechanical tie. You asked if one could use glue instead of tying with rubber or string.
[/quote]

Sorry there is a missunderstanding ! I dont mean any mechanical tie just the rubber and glue. What I meant is that under the tie (when you tie with arubber piece as normal )there is no way for the rubber to move.
Cheers

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The technology is there for gluing bands, but the performance is not as far as my testing has shown. Glue has been used by Marksman by putting tubes on plastic clips. If you ever tried to take the tubes off of Marksman Clip Tips, you will find that there are glues that hold very well.
I did research and found glue that did. That is priority information done for a company. I have looped bands through pouches and glued them rather than tying them with success. It does not save time and if a strong enough glue is used the bands tend to tear at the edge of the glue if unsupported. I did not care for bands glued instead of being tied at the pouch even though it held.
Saunders bands have a little rubber cement between them at the pouch. The rubber cement that Saunders uses does not interfere with the rubber being stretched as it stretches with it and does not glue it solid.
Trumark could use a little glue in holding there plastic pouch attachments, but maybe they already do as I don't really know. -- Tex
Great post Tex!
What do you mean by ;The bands tend to tear at the edge of the glue if unsupported?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I think Bill's excellent post satisfied my curiosity for now. There's a bunch of big burning questions I want to mess with before experimenting with glue. It's not that I don't think it can be made to work, but I think other avenues of exploration may lead to riper and lower hanging fruit.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
When running a flat band through the hole in the pouch and gluing it to its self, the bands tend to tear along the edge of the glue shorting there life somewhat. -- Tex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts