Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I want to have a thin bit of acrylic sandwiched inbetween two bits of multiplex but im not sure what the best way of sticking them together is.
Id like to avoid pinning them as i want a nice rounded handle to the catapult. Maybe i could put dowls through the acrylic and stick it that way?
Or if i score the acrylic so the surface is rough, will titebond stick the wood to the plastic anyway?

Take it easy, gecko.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! I wanted to seem all technical to be honest as i hear that word thrown around so often! Yeah its plywood that i got from school, it was an off-cut. Do you think this poxy would be long lasting then?

Take it easy, gecko.

· Banned
6,047 Posts
Yeah man, it works ok. The slower setting the epoxy, the stronger it is. Try and stay away from the 5 minute stuff. It will last for years if done properly.

The biggest issue is when you have flex and the layers de laminate. A few small pins stop this from happening. Brass braising rod, bicycle spokes, iron nails all make good pins.

As far as 'multiplex' goes, that is a German term. The English speaking world calls it plywood. This is why so many people have a hard time finding it. You call all the stores asking for multiplex and they have no idea what you mean. As soon as you say plywood, problem solved. Try Googleing both terms and you will see what I mean.

It's also important to know the grade of ply you are using. Most makers use a hardwood ply, usually birch. Be wary of using C/D grade ply as it is often full of voids creating weak spots.

Further Reading

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Hrawk and danny for you help, i now know the difference between plywood and multiplex and i can finally give up typing multiplex into search engines! I probably will glue them with a two part poxy like you said, shape the catapult and then put some pins in it.

Cheers for all the help, take it easy, gecko

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Good thread. Can I jump in here and ask a question? (I'm just learning about glues now myself.) Why use 2-part epoxy? Would CA glue not do the job if you used the thick kind that will take a little flex?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.