Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have some time in the next couple of days, and I have an idea. I also have some plywood and rubber hanging around. So I thought I'd try to cut out a couple of slingshots. While a nice big pistol grip would be cool enough, I am intrigued by the little thin slingshots I've seen around, where you brace the forks with your thumb and forefinger. That carbon fiber one on Joerg's channel is pretty spiffy, but I don't have coin to go buy any materials.

So what I need:
Ideas on size. Forks maybe 2" or 2.5" wide?
Ideas on pattern, plain or notchy?

My only problem is that my camera brok, so I cannot post pictures of the project. There has to be a way around that, too. Anyway, any help and advice would be cool. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
I get ideas for mine from what other people make taking bits and peaces to come up with something I like as for size if you read through the posts here theres some talk about how wide they like there forks and why. I like My slingshot to be pocket size 5"high 2" to 3" forks Ive made some bord cut but work most in steal.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Chugosh,

As I have recently been making different styles of cattys, like Dragonmaster. I have had to see what designs are used as I was clueless as to why this or why that so I guessed. Subsequently, after purchasing a few I measured the fork space widths. And as with the design the width is different. I am about to take some photos of my favorite catty to use to post on that forum and will also photo some I have and post the fork width to give you an idea.

IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW- The plywood that is for sheathing and typically has thick layers has voids and the glue is in a thicker layer and the glue is very hard. A real pain in the butt when you hit the glue with the hand tools and sand paper. The glue was actually dulling my rasps quicker than using them on hard woods.

typically the more plys in the ply wood the better to work with. I just bought some Baltic birch 3/4 thick with 13 layers. Cabinet shops use this stuff. If you know of a cabinet shop or some one that might likely have smaller scrapes of similarly made plywood you can probably find some usable scraps for free.

My widest catty to make needs 4 1/4 wide x 6 inches for a blank piece of wood. A small one I like only needs a 3x 5 inch piece.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
here are some I have made except the green one, that one is from Fish aka Hunter Catapults.

Inside fork measure by height, in order, for the first four. In inches.

2 1/2 x 5 h
1 9/16 x 6 h
2 1/4 x 6 1/4 h
1 5/8 x 6 h

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this (youtube video) is what I managed to come up with, though it took another day off to get around to doing it. Not getting fancy, but then it's my third slingshot, so I don't mind being at the practice stage. I do need more range time, though.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I ignored the plywood altogether and went with other wood, some of which my wife berated me for. Aparently, though on the pile of wood, the one I chose to cut up was the only one she wanted left alone. It did look like nice wood, which is why I chose it.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Hey Mike,

Great! I watched the video and see you are now with one more slingshot to your collection and to practice with.

And a coping saw is pretty good if you are only doing one now and again. Not to mention they are quite accurate when you get the hang of them.

Keep it going!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts