Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was shooting a few days ago, and a friend was at my place with a friend of his. Naturally, I went ahead to impress them and took the risk to shoot a card. It was a risk because the possibility of missing it for 10 shots, ever so slightly, is high. Of course, under pressure I perform the best, and I hit it on my second shot. Yeah, didn't cut it, just half cut it as usual, but I did manage to Impress them ????
As it turned out, that other guy is an Olympic archer guy. He trains in a team regularly and competes. When he saw the half cut card shot, he proposed that I go and attend a practice session with his team ????
You know what, I will indeed go and take 2-3 frames with me! I asked him a lot, and I am very keen to try those funny bows with all the stupid attachments, as there is a big following here, and many tournaments to attend. I figured that if I went barebow, it would be like with slingshots, not any tournaments here to attend.
So, any advice from the archery guys of the forum? I really want to learn fast, so that no one there will laugh at the power of the Slingshot!
(I

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations that's an amazing opportunity
Thanks Ibojoe! I will give it a chance, even if it's not barebow, which I wanted originally. At the very least I will get to socialize, which is always good! The practice program is a bit uncomfortable, I can attend every Sunday, but during the week I will be able to attend every second week, because they gather at the afternoon, so when I work second shift, I can't go. It doesn't matter though, I will be putting the hours in my place.
I just hope they won't scorn slingshots too much ????

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Nice. I do prefer slingshots now. But I also shoot a little bow... seriously... it is 48" hickory paddle bow.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Skropi - sure he'll advise you through the process. But thats very cool - I also used to shoot FITA recurve and later compound. You can also shoot hunter (instinctive) class recurve where the only addition is an arrow rest - and must use a Mediterranean draw.

Keen to get back into that at some stage - there is a new club very close.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
That's awesome Skropi! I used to shoot a recurve, but never could find enough time to get accurate enough to go deer hunting. There's not a lot of places to shoot in my city. If a cop sees me with a slingshot at the local park, they may wag their finger. If they see me with a knocked bow, they pull out the handcuffs. I still dream of taking a deer with a bow though. I'm hoping my slingshot shooting will allow me to take smaller game until the chance presents itself. Definitely give this a shot, and it sounds like you'll be surrounded by a great class of archer to teach you the ropes! All the archers I've met are very enthusiastic about their sport and welcoming of newcomers, much like slingshots shooters.

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am enthusiastic guys, mostly because I'll get to meet new people! The only drawback is that if I get to stick with it, I will have to split my time between slingshooting and archery!

Reactions: hoggy

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Youll love it. But probably not the price. The biggest difference in the two disciplines is the price to start. Those guys are given new stuff all the time and are expectted to use it so our old stuff we were to use to promote to new people. They can help you get set up. Archery will only make you a better slinger.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is really amazing! I have shot traditionally for about 15 years now and taken several species with my recurve and long bows. I think you will absolutely love it especially since you are so passionate about slingshots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Here are a few of mine.

Here is some advice don't get a bow in a draw weight that's to strong you won't shoot it much because you won't get as accurate as you want to be I hunt with a 40# bow and do just fine but I shoot up to a 60# bow but learn from a 35# bow.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Archery is amazing I loved to compete. You will enjoy it, but it is so much different from slingshots in many ways. Good (not expensive, but matching) equipment plays a role. Anyways it is an amazing competitive scene. Have fun and try barebow and stringwalking :) too!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, many archers here! You will all be in my thoughts when I make my first shots guys!

Ghost, your photos make me yearn for how hunting but it's illegal here. I have a cousin in Bradford RI though, that I could visit sometime, is it allowed there? ????

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
What part of Greece are you from I spent some time in Rhodes on liberty had a good time there.

Really don't know what I do if I could not hunt.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I shot traditional archery quite a bit from 1990-2000. I gave it up because of a bad shoulder but couldn't stay away so I picked up a couple of light-weight recurves a couple of years ago and then added a flatbow earlier this year. I ended up selling one recurve.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What part of Greece are you from I spent some time in Rhodes on liberty had a good time there.

Really don't know what I do if I could not hunt.
I live in Athens, but I hail from Peloponnese, where people are hunting illegally often.....not saying I would do it, but illogical laws like these, sometimes make you wonder if they should be broken.
Oh, my slingshot hunting is illegal too btw, but it's a concealable weapon ????

1 - 20 of 32 Posts